Is Grizzly Industrial Good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
Finally have a basement and can buy some tools. I have been looking around for a cabinet type table saw & planner. Grizzly "seems" to have the best value. Does anyone have expereince with them. I don't want to buy a pig and a poke.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yes, I have experience with Grizzly and I have been very happy with the quality of the machinery for the cost. I have a BS, TS, and wish I had a DC (but the wife made that purchase). I highly recommend picking up your purchase at the freight terminal, it is easier to schedule ( on your time) and most of the shipping damage happens with the local carriers. What in particular are you looking at. I am sure that there is a member who has a good recommendation for that particular machine.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I have a Grizzly G1023SLX 10" cabinet saw with the wide extension table and Shop Fox fence system on a mobile base that I've had for 2 years. Superb saw, plenty of power (easily cuts 8/4 white oak or ash) using a Forrest WW II full kerf blade. I've also got a G0555 14" bandsaw, a 6" jointer and stationary disk/belt sander, plus their benchtop oscilating sander. All are good, cost effective tools. Take a look at my Photo Album -- I drove to Muncy, PA to the Grizzly store to buy all my stuff -- well worth the trip! Any questions, I'd be happy to answer...

Rob

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
grizzly's a good value for small shop's......i've looked at a lot of the equipment out there, grizzly, jet, woodtek, etc....i think most of it is made in the same factory in china and just painted different colors....if you're close to charlotte, go to leneave supply on morehead st......they import their own brand, northstate, keep quite a bit in stock and can get parts.........prices are reasonable

one recommendation, dont buy a woodtek planer....the bed rollers are an example of too little time spent in design.....learned this the hard way, but i got mine fixed and it works great now

you're more than welcome to stop by my shop and look some of the pieces i have.....im in statesville

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Travis, I bought the Grizzly G1014 sander a few weeks ago and took delivery at the shipping dock in Asheville. It was well packed and the box was in excellent condition. Everything was in new condition and assembly was simple enough with a good assembly and user manual. Have used it a few times and find that it works as expected.

Most of the complaints that I have seen on the internet refer to shipping damage which is why I drove to the shipping dock. If you are buying from afar, give Wilke Machingery a look. I used to live not far from them and bought there at times. They have an excellent reputation too.
Roy

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I'm another for thinking it's pretty good equipment. It works real well for the work I give it. I have their 1022 tablesaw, the G0555 bandsaw, one of their lathes ( 10X40 ) or something like that, I don't use it much anymore thanks to a Delta variable speed. And their 1 1/2 horse dust collector. The tablesaw took a lot of tuning but I don't mind that one bit. It gets me familiar with the machine. I really like the bandsaw and the lathe worked great for me to learn on.

Oh I also have a table top drill press of theirs that I'd probably sell as a boat anchor. It sits in the corner and holds down some storage tubs. I'm trying to figure out a use for the motor. I'll be the first to say that that little thing was a piece of ..........

Other than that jewel they work fine.

Tom

woodguy1975

New User
John
Do us a favor.... don't start threads like this. LOL

These threads always start a war on the "other" forum. Grizz stuff is about value ie price to performance ratio. It is the best, no. Is it the worst, no. You've got to have realistic expectations about the equipment you buy.

You can search the "other" forum and get lots of threads. I'd personally like to keep the griz war off this site. Next you'll be asking about Oneida versus Grizzly cyclones.....:slap::slap::slap: PLEASE DON'T GO THERE!!!!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That has me thinking about cyclones... Should I go with the Grizzly or the Oneida?:rolf:

Travis

New User
Travis
WOW! I did not mean to start a religous war. I was just curious if it was good stuff. OK, only reply to this thread if you are unbiased. NO PARTISANS PLEASE.

I am looking at purchasing the 10" table saw (G1023SL) and the 15" planner (G0453).

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IMO, it isn't bad stuff. I have the 1021 15" planer and have had it for about 10 years. Motor is a bit small, but it gets the job done. I went to the store in Springfield Missouri and was looking at the 12" disc 6x48 belt and did not like it though. The tables could not be aligned parrallel to the sander without drilling out the holes. I ended up buying a jet and still had to tinker.

It is good for the price you pay.

As for Oneida vs Grizzly, I went Oneida. :)

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I had one time or another 5 stationary power tools from Grizzly (15" planer, 12" planer, table saw, gear head mill drill, edge sander). All tools performed adaquately. IMHO, Grizzly is mostly a good value for the money.
At the price point that Grizzly sells, I think it is on the top. Having said that, Grizzly equipment cannot be compared to an Altendorf, Felder or Martin. But then again they cost up to 10x more. So what I am trying to say is that Grizzly stuff works well for a hobbyist or small shop. And I know quite few people that make really nice furniture and cabinetry using Grizzly equipment.
Right now I am looking for a larger planer (22-24") and a wide belt sander....and I am seriously considering Grizzly.

PS If you are looking for a 15" planer (Grizzly), I am selling mine and I am also selling a 24" drum sander.

my 2 cents.

Bernhard

vorlon666

New User
Steve
I have the 10" cabinet saw, 15" planer, 8" jointer, 20" drill press, 16" bandsaw, and a partridge in a pear tree:-D from Grizzly. Picked it all up at the terminal at the same time in Charlotte and everything worked great out of the box (some assembly and extra strong backs required) except for the drill press which required a little creativity to get the table perpendicular to the drill bit.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchases, but I do intend to replace the fence on the table saw - I really miss the Delta Unifence I had on the saw I owned back in Virginia. The Shop Fox fence needs to be checked carefully for distance every time - the calibration to the tape measure doesn't hold, and it doesn't stay parallel when not locked the way a Unifence does.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
You are probably getting the general theme that most Grizzly tools are a good value for the money. The cabinet saw you list is typically rated a best buy in magazine tool tests. You really have to look at each item idependently because most makers of tools for hobby woodworkers have some dogs in their line. In general the higher end constractors saw from grizzly and the cabinet saw are good values. The planers are a little more hit and miss from model to model.

I've had the Grizzly contractors saw for over 10 years with excellent results. Mine has the Shop Fox fence that rides on rails front and back. It is incredibly accurate, holds adjustment and remains parallel locked or not. My only complaint is that I can't put an outfeed table directly against the back of the saw because of the back rail. If I were you, I would upgrade to the 1023SLX for the longer rails. Not only is it great for sheet goods but you can also slide the fence out of the way when using a crosscut sled. Drop a router in the extension wing and add a fence that attaches to your TS fence and you also have a great router table too.

cskipper

Cathy
As you get to know us, you'll discover that the only really dangerous discussion is about barbeque! :lol: No one means to flame anyone here. If that's how it comes across please forgive us - we've hung around each other long enough to kid and realize that's what it is. Feel free to ask.

M

McRabbet

vorlon666 said:
I have the 10" cabinet saw, 15" planer, 8" jointer, 20" drill press, 16" bandsaw, and a partridge in a pear tree:-D from Grizzly. Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchases, but I do intend to replace the fence on the table saw - I really miss the Delta Unifence I had on the saw I owned back in Virginia. The Shop Fox fence needs to be checked carefully for distance every time - the calibration to the tape measure doesn't hold, and it doesn't stay parallel when not locked the way a Unifence does.

I have not had problems with the Classic Shop Fox fence on my G1023SLX like you have experienced. This model has 1/2" thick UHMW plastic on each side of a rigid square tube and a firm lock on the front angle rail. It does not move during cuts and has stayed true for more than a year (I do check it regularly). I mounted Board Buddies on a hardwood strip screwed onto the top of the fence for safety purposes during rip operations -- click on the thumbnail -->

Because the back rail angle is inverted to an "L" shape, you can see that my outfeed table comes up quite close to the tablesaw without interference. I'm very happy with it. Whatever saw one uses, the blade you use is key and correct setup is mandatory. I use a Forrest Woodworker II blade with a 5" stabilizer and it cuts beautifully. Don't use a cheap blade in a good saw -- it ain't worth it.

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
cskipper said:
As you get to know us, you'll discover that the only really dangerous discussion is about barbeque! :lol: No one means to flame anyone here. If that's how it comes across please forgive us - we've hung around each other long enough to kid and realize that's what it is. Feel free to ask.
By no means does there appear to any flaming going on. I don't mean to seem harsh, but the problem with asking a question like this is simple. The folks that have them and are happy speak up and the folks that have owned them and weren't happy like me that won't speak up because they don't want to "cause trouble". The owner of the Grizzly has done much damage the reputation of grizzly in a lot of folks to top it all off and ruffle up the feathers. Most folks have only ever used one brand of saw. The one they own so that gives no basis for comparison.

I don't see our community getting split over something so silly as a brand, but prefer not provoke things. In some communities you can stir the same emotions with the Mini Max verus Laguna discussion.

Honestly, you'll probably be fine with griz stuff. I haven't been impressed with any of the new Jet, Powermatic, Delta, Grizzly imports to the point where I'd say one is definitely better than the other when comparing the same level of equipment. The all come from the same plants for the most part. The only brand I'd lean towards in that range of equipment is Bridgewood. That is primarly because BW uses US made Baldor motors.

Good luck,

John

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I only have one Grizzly machine and that is the 1182Z 6" jointer. It's worked very well for me so far. I had it shipped to work and had no shipping damage. Setup was a breeze and the manual was clear with assembly instructions. When the time comes I would consider buying another machine from them.

Dave

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Bernhard said:
PS If you are looking for a 15" planer (Grizzly), I am selling mine and I am also selling a 24" drum sander.

my 2 cents.

Bernhard

Wow Bernhard! a 15" Griz planer and 24" drum sander for 2 cents?!??

I'll take em!

Seriously, how much? and what time frame? I am sure there are several people here interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS