Is Everybody Down East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
It seems that all the events of this forum are way down towards the coast. Are any events ever planned for areas closer to the mountains. I realize that the geographical center of NC is in Chatham County, 10 miles NW of Sanford. But Raleigh sure is a long way away. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There was a picnic in or near Asheville a couple years ago. I didn't get to go to that one, but I heard it was great!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
There are definitely more than a few members in the Western part of the state. You all may be a little more spread out, but if someone got something together, I'm sure some folks would show up. :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
Now hold on :eusa_naug
There have been several NCWWer meets in Wilmington over the years.

This one is "Woodfest" in April 2006!
Matt, Dave, and myself at Dockside (IIRC).
Wilm_Matt_David_Roger.jpg

Charles (Skeeter) and Jimmy (KMI) at Kids Making It in Wilm June 2006

KMI_Charles_Jimmy.jpg

Dolan (Splinter) and Jeff Citrin (also with KMI)
KMI_Dolan_Jeff.jpg

OK, it's been a while :eusa_thin
Down easters' need to get something going :eek:ccasion1

Roger

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Welcome from Mayberry! (Mount Airy). there is also a group member in Pilot Mountain and one in Yadkinville, plus several in W-S and area. If you are up this way give a holler!
Jim in Mayberry

M

McRabbet

Bill,

We have a fair number of members here in the western part of NC and several here in the heart of Apple Country. I know that you are a turner and I suspect you take advantage of the marvelous programs run each month by the Carolina Mountain Woodturners at the Folk Art Center in Asheville. Although I also attended the Greensboro Turners Symposium to represent the NC Woodworker, I am not a turner.

I've been a member here since the fall of 2005 and I'm also President of the Western NC Woodworkers Association that meets every second Saturday at the shop of Mountain Sawyers in Fletcher -- we had our meeting this past Saturday and had our largest turnout ever with 49 folks attending. The majority of WNCWA members are more traditional woodworkers (furniture, cabinets, scrolling, box making and so on), although several also are turners. We had a program on cabinetmaking this past weekend and next month will feature Arts & Crafts furniture maker Gregory Paolini of Waynesville.

Back in October 2008, NCWoodworker CaptnA (Andy Henderson of Mills River) and his wife sponsored a BBQ picnic along the shores of the French Broad River in Arden and there was a turnout of about 50 NCWW.net and WNCWA members that had a great day. WNCWA has a member BBQ and tool auction each fall in Fairview (we had about 50 last fall). As Doug Robinson mentioned, NCWoodworkers had a nice booth at the Klingspor Extravaganza last October (our 4th year there).

I'd love to have a picnic or similar event here in the high country, too -- it takes a good team of people to organize one and perhaps we can impose on Andy to help us run another one at the Asheville Firefighter's site in Arden. The site has many good attributes for an event, including access for physically challenged guests. And, I'm sure we could get some strong support from NC Woodworker. I can't commit to chairing a Picnic Committee here now since I am deep into the next big event on the NC Woodworker horizon; I am chairing the Spring 2010 Raffle that will kick off next month.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I gotta place in Whittier in Jacksonville county,closest club is Ashville or Glenville,both about 45 min from me.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bill, I share your feelings. Wonder what would happen if we rotated the site every other year? And, some of us "Piedmonter's" would like to see one in the "middle ground!"

Albemarle has a nice park on the City Lake that could more than accommodate the crowd.
:wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Bill
I've been hit or miss on here too much lately. Guess I missed your intro so first let me say welcome! Nice to see a new name in the county. I knew there were more people around here that did more than heat with wood!! Very nice to see your wife is a ww-er/turner as well!

There are quite a few of us on here from the west end. You're right that the 'east-enders' seem to stay busier with get togethers. I'm envious at times and wish it weren't so far to get to some of their events. Around here you can drive two hours to get started on a trip as I'm sure you know. We're west, but can still drive into the setting sun for hours.

We're in the very beginning of planning another picnic in the Asheville area sometime in the fall. Not gonna say too much cause the Spring picnic is now getting cranked up. Also got to ensure it doesn't coincide/conflict with Klingspore's Expo or anything else.

That said, there's a whole lot of time til then and plenty of chances to do other things first...

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Hey Andrew: I guess that I never really introduced myself. During the last year and a half I have lost half of my left foot, spent five months in a wheelchair, learned to walk, got laid off (after 22 yrs), retired, changed from slow dial-up to DSL, and went thru the worst winter in 30 years. I have 40 yrs experience in commercial/industrial maintenance, refrigeration, control technology, and kiln repair. I am slowly trying to become a part-time professional turner. MY wife, Nettie, and I are both on the Board of Directors of the Carolina Mountain Woodturners. We live on a 2900 foot mountain top near Edneyville. I am better at fixing your AC or furnace than turning wood. Although the only letters behind my name are JR, I'll put my experience up against lots of engineers.

I love picnics, shop tours, etc and have been frustrated by all the events planned for so far away! I can't afford fourteen round-trip hours of travel to attend a 2 hour event. :(

Bill in WNC mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS