Is Bradford Pear wood good for anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
I lost a huge Pear tree in a recent thunderstorm :crybaby2: (more like a small tornado!8-O ). I was wondering if I could use the wood for some project, rather than discarding it. The trunk is probably 12" at the bottom, very straight, with no limbs for 7-8'. After that its all smaller 5-7" branches forking off the main trunk. Am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any tips....

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
I've heard its weak but I suspect that depends on what you want to build with it. Smaller projects (boxes, etc.) fine but may cause problems for sturdy furniture. I'll defer to someone who has experience with it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have heard that it good turning wood. NCwood has asked me to keep an eye out for any that I can provide him (they come down a lot when I am involved...I hate the tree) Also it's good wood to smoke meat with, as is all fruitwood.
Dave:)

RandyJ

New User
Randy
DaveO said:
Also it's good wood to smoke meat with, as is all fruitwood.
Dave:)

Thanks Dave! I was only thinking of woodworking projects, but leave it to you to come up with a cooking alternative:icon_thum . You've always got your thinking cap on, don't you?:5propelle

So far, I've managed to destroy plenty of wood WITHOUT having a lathe. I'd hate to see what kind of mess I would make with that tool8-O 8-O !

Ken, thanks for the tip. It probably would be ok for smaller pieces, boxes, trays, etc.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I have also seen some nice turnings using bradford pear. I have some that I have drying now that I hope to try and turn in the future.

J

jeff...

Something to consider. If the log is straight, has no defects, measures 12" diameter inside the bark at the small end and is 8' long. You could expect to get about 32 board feet of clean lumber. My guess would be 8" wide boards. I think the most you could expect is 6)-4/4x8" or 3)-8/4x8 boards... assuming that the above log conditions hold true... If the log has any defect at all, the most you could expect is 6" wide clean boards and the board footage will drop accordingly.

Just something to consider.

Thanks

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'll try resawing and drying it just to see what turns up.
I love this web site:icon_thum :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS