Is anyone interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
in a beginning spoon carving workshop?

I would limit it to 4 - 6 students, very informal, low cost to cover materials, tools will be supplied for workshop and may be purchased after the workshop.

Probably about $50 - $75 for the day.

Will use shaving horse, bent knife, spoke shave. I will have blanks cut out and you can bring root balls and interesting branches to work with.

41195_1370498551094_1490661384_874893_4233922_n.jpg

46196_1370498751099_1490661384_874894_819525_n.jpg

67561_1437454264945_1490661384_1007461_6422325_n.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Preston,

If no one else is coming we can meet pretty much any Saturday.

I do have one other person who may participate, but I can check with her about the time.

So, when would be convenient for you?

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
When are you thinking? I'd like to try my hand at some carving. I'd have to pass it by SWMBO, but past that I'd like to come out.:thumbs_up

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is a better response than I expected. I need to order some knives and build a few shaving horses.

Maybe end of May or early June?

July/August is too hot... maybe?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike I have a few carving tools that I purchased for the trying my hand. How about publishing a list what tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For my big spoons I use a small hand ax, draw knife, spoke shave, Frost Moro bent knife and sometimes a big gouge or a bent gouge.

This is the bent knife I use from Ragweed Forge - $17 plus shipping.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/164.jpg

I order them from here, near the bottom of the page.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

I'm checking to see if I can get a discount for ordering ten of them.

They charge $6 per order for shipping so we could save a little by combining orders even if I can't get a discount.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mike, I'd like to have another go at spoon making. I've been told my spooning needs some work :roll:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Mike
I don't know nothing 'bout carving no spoons...

I would like to look into making a shaving horse though!
Maybe you could post a few pictures of yours?
St Roy, I believe, had one on his show one time with forked wood as the base that seriously intrigued me. Been too many times one would have made life much easier.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Scott,

You and I are close neighbors as compared to most of the folks I know.

We'll have to get together sometime for sure. Don't worry about already knowing something, there's plenty of folks here who will be happy to tell you how to do stuff.

Andy,

Come on over! I've got to build a few shave horses, you can watch and take pictures. I might even let you help. :eusa_danc

jpaup

New User
JP
Hi Mike,

I would be very interested in a spoon carving course. I have built my own shaving horse which I can tote along and have a couple of drawknives, a spoke shave, and small set of Flex cut carving tools. I have been looking at picking up one of those curved spoon knives so you can add me in for your group buy on one of those. I'm guessing your place is an hour or two from Bahama (North Durham County). Let me know when you settle on a date.

Thanks,

John

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I heard back from Ragnar today, he said I would have to buy about twenty knives to get a discount.

I'm thinking it over but I don't know how much the discount is yet.

I may just get a few to have for the class.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Mike,
If I can get there Id like to give it a whirl. I am moving to first shift job soon so maybe it will be a bit better from now on.

Keep me posted.

Thanks Mark

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is much more interest than i expected.

I need to build 4 -5 shaving horses and order tools.

The way things are going that may take a couple months.

I may do a free shave horse work shop first to let those intending to do the spoon class a chance to build their own shave horse.

I have a light weight portable horse that breaks down into smallish pieces and is very easy to transport in a small car. I will probably make a couple more like that and at least two bigger, heavier ones that can double as saw benches.

I think we have enough to make two classes.

So, any suggestions on dates, say at least two months from now?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Mike,

Check out this blog, and the carving horse he chose to make for his class. There is a bunch of really great info on the site.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, I know Robin, I am on several lists and forums with him. That horse works great for hand carving bowls and is a quick and easy thing to make.

He carves spoons free hand, but strictly uses green wood which is much easier to carve. I don't always have the luxury of cutting fresh trees for spoons. I usually have some dry maple or have to cut wood one month or more in advance of carving. So, I like to use a shaving horse to hold the spoon while I use both hands on the knife. He also lets his spoons dry a couple weeks then goes back and finish carves the surface texture on them.

I am less skillful and less traditional I know but I am not a professional full time spoon and bowl maker either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS