Is anybody interested in some free spalted oak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
One of our NCWoodworker members, David Sheuring, and I have been corresponding about some large willow oak logs that he picked up last year from a tree removal at Campbell University.

I went out and looked at them today, and discovered that they are extensively spalted in the heartwood, and borderline suitable for milling.

However, they would probably make some outstanding turning stock.

I cut a small chunk off of the end of one of the logs, and brought it back to the shop to run through my bandsaw to see how stable it was inside. It turned out better than I thought; below are some pix of the pieces that I milled from it.

The logs are still very green inside, but considering the extent of the spalt they should probably be milled/turned within a month or two, before they spalt to the point of no return.

I think that David would let the logs go to a good home; he needs to get them moved in order to make room for a new shop. They are LARGE; probably around 36" across, and weigh in the 2,500 - 4000 lb range apiece. It may make sense to chainsaw them into manageable bowl blanks onsite, as opposed to moving them whole.

If anybody is interested in them, please let me know and I'll put you in touch with David.

Regards,

Scott

IMG_3270.JPG

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Man those are beautiful, and I would love some but have no way to haul or chainsaw them....:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Man those are beautiful, and I would love some but have no way to haul or chainsaw them....:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I have truck and chainsaw. Time is my big issue. Gary, maybe we can work it out.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
David is located in Lillington, which is around 20 miles due south of Raleigh, and 15 miles east of Sanford.

It appears that the tree was starting to rot in the center, so the spalting is running from the inside out... I've never seen interior spalted wood in oak such as is in these logs.

You're welcome to look at the boards that I cut up to see if you think that they are turnable. I'm not an experienced wood turner, but I think that there is still enough substance to them to turn. They went across the jointer ok.

Scott

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
You're welcome to look at the boards that I cut up to see if you think that they are turnable. I'm not an experienced wood turner, but I think that there is still enough substance to them to turn. They went across the jointer ok.

Scott

Are you available tonight or tomorrow, I have been wanting to come out and meet you anyway...seems like as good an excuse as any.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gary, today (or tonight) would be best; but tomorrow is workable also. I'll send you a PM with my contact info and directions.

Scott

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
That is some great looking wood!
Thanks for sharing this.
Wish it were a bit further west. Some of my all time favorite pieces I've turned were from some spalted oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors