Is anybody interested in participating a group buy for Anchorseal Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
About three years or so ago, NCWW member Gary Conklin organized our first group purchase of Anchor Seal Classic (the proven blend of end sealer used to treat green log ends / bowl blanks to reduce end checks). This allowed NCWW members to consolidate our purchasing power, order in bulk and take advantage of a significant volume discount. It was well attended, with many NCWW members taking advantage of the savings.

Two and a half years ago we followed up on what Gary started by hosting a sequel at my farm. Here is a link to the thread about that event:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37768&highlight=anchor+seal

It’s time for me to purchase some more end sealer for my milling operation, and I’d like to see if there is any interest amongst NCWW members about participating in a group purchase.

The way that this works is that you commit on this thread for X gallons, and based upon the sum total of that we place a bulk order and schedule a date for the event at my farm in New Hill, NC (about 30 miles SW of Raleigh). Typically we will conduct the event on either a Saturday or Sunday, whichever works best for everybody. Most likely, we will plan on a weekend in mid to late September.

As a way to support NCWW, the price per gallon will include a $1.00 donation to help support the operation of NCWW.

Since we are buying in bulk, each NCWW member that participates is responsible for providing their own containers. We will use a drum pump to transfer it.

On the last run we purchased a total of two 55 gallon drums, which is a significant price savings over buying 5 gallon pails or smaller amounts at local retailers. The price per drum delivered was just quoted to me as $346.50 for the drum, and $120.00 for the freight / $466.50 total, which works out to be $9.50 per gallon, including the $1.00 donation to NCWW. I typically order the winter formula, which means that you don't have to worry about it going bad if it freezes in your garage.

If you would like to participate, please respond to this thread with an quantity that you're interested in, and if Saturday September 14 or Saturday September 21 are good dates for the event.

I plan on placing the order on or around Monday, 9/2, so please respond before then in interested.

Thanks!

Scott

PS - if we exceed a total of 55 gallons, I will purchase multiple drums as needed.

Participants:

Jim (nn4jw) 2
Bill Clemmons - 3
Greg Bender - 2
Hank (hmerkle) - 1
Kevin -1/2 (grin)
Dave (dwminnich) - 2
Rich (Mrfixit71 ) - 1
Tim (Dupont6480) - 3
Andy (CaptA) - 3

Running total: 17

Last edited:

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Happy to see that this has become a sort of tradition! Though I don't need any AS I might like to pop on out to the farm for a visit, either at the event or sooner if you have some time Scott, it's been to long.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Happy to see that this has become a sort of tradition! Though I don't need any AS I might like to pop on out to the farm for a visit, either at the event or sooner if you have some time Scott, it's been to long.

I completely concur! I actually thought of you this morning and was going to try to give you a call. Let's see how the week turns out and try to get together.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The non-winter formula will keep for years as long as you prevent it from freezing. As far as the winter formula is concerned, I just finished up using a drum that I purchased two and a half years ago, and it is just as good now as it was two years ago.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Hypothetically, how much would one need to cover, say, half a dozen large poplar logs?

Hypothetically.

K

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hypothetically, how much would one need to cover, say, half a dozen large poplar logs?

Hypothetically.

K

Hypothetically we are talking just the butt ends. Hypothetically these logs are 18" - 20" in diameter or less. Hypothetically a pint or two would be more then enough.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Scott,
While I still have some left from the last 5 gallon purchase I'm thinking 2 gallons would be necessary since we do this group buy sporadically. Put me down for the two and I will figure how I can get to it when it happens. I also need to get up and visit so I may not need too much of an excuse to buy. Talk to you soon,
Greg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,
I am interested in a gallon, unfortunately I am not sure when I can get to New Hill.

If I have to be there for the event, I will have to pass...
But if there is a way for you to secure a gallon for me I can put a pay pal through to you and figure out a time to get up that way!

Hank Merkle

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Greg / Hank: Gotcha covered. Hank - no problem on the delayed pickup.

Kevin - already applied!

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Scott,

I'm in for two gallons. The 21st would be better for me than the 14th, but either probably works.

Thanks for organizing!

--dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors