Is a Pen Press worth having?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Hey guys. Is buying or making a pen press worth the money or time to make? I have been using my vise so far, but I am thinking about getting or making one.

What do you say guys? Are they worth it?

thanks!

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I considered a pen press till someone mentioned they use a vice clamp of some sort. When i was ready to press a pen I realized I didn't have one that would work so I just put on some heavy leather gloves and pressed them together . But, I have only done a few pens, if you do alot, that might be another story.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I gave mine [home grown] away. I now use my bench vise. you can use a quick-grip clamp or a dowel in the drill press works as well. I also use my arbor press if I am making more than a few at a time. I wouldn't spend a great deal of money for a pen press.:nah:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I just started making pens a while back and LOML had already bought me one along with a bunch of other goodies,and I really like it.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have a little thinger I made for my drill press, basically a dowel for the press and a base with rubber and different sized dowels for holding the pens pieces straight ....works perfectly :icon_thum

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I use a scrap piece of wood for the bottom of the pen to be pressed against and a bolt clamped down in my drill press. I sanded the bolt head smooth then it goes in the drill press just like a drill bit and press the pen together. Works like a charm.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I like the press I have cause its quick and easy. It goes back on the shael when Im done with it. but I guess the drill press thingy would work too.

Thanks MArk

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I shamelessly stole my idea from Gator! It is a nut cracker.
nutcraker.jpeg

I think I paid $12 for it. Cut in half and remount at appropriate distance apart. I fashioned a couple of pieces of plastic for the cups to protect the finish on the nib/cap. Adjustable to accommodate different pen lengths. Works like a champ. Thanks Gator!

navy1990

New User
Matt
I tried the drill press route for a while before getting a pen press. I like the pen press better, personally. But to each his own.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the drill press. A piece of hardwood glued to the bolt head protects the pen trim. If I upgraded it would be to the nut cracker concept. It would enable me to set the transmissions to a consistent depth without a lot of trial & error.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I own a pen press. I like to put my pens together at the dining room table in good light and a clean, shaving-free floor. This also allows work after I have come in for the evening. I find certain kits to be a little intimidating, a little relaxation helps. If I drop something, I can find it. I can lay everything out with the instructions.

I use several 3/4" spacers, a 1/4", and a few thin others to speed up the process. My press does not have an adjustment set knob. The spacers go between the backside of the plastic pusher and the frame.

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Is a pen press worth having? For me, yes.
I didn't know better when I started making pens so I bought one.
I've also now used the drill press, clamps, bench vise, and a handmade press to do the job and they all did work. That said, I'll keep using my pen press. Should mine mysteriously fall apart or grow legs, I'll replace it.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I used a press for a while but when the handle broke, I went back to using clamps and am very happy with them. I won't be buying another press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors