Is a Craftsman 4in Jointer worth much of anything?

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
My Uncle gave this to me thirty years ago +/- and I never set it up. No motor, Everything else seems 'factory' and it is in good condition.

Any ideas on what it is actually worth?

Model: 103.23340 Craftsman Jointer. Date of Manufacturer: 1952/53.​

Benchtop model Not rusty​

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I assume a benchtop? If so, no. If it was some monster iron thing, then maybe a specialty use.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
With any piece of used equipment, condition is everything.
So it doesn't' have a motor. Do some homework and find out what a new motor will cost a potential buyer of your jointer. I'll assume the jointer has an acceptably sturdy stand, switch, and cord ready to install a motor. Also it will help a potential buyer to know that you've precisely installed a newly sharpened set of knives and that the cutterhead has good bearings.
Sears has offered a multitude 4" jointer variations over the years. It will be good to be able to tell a buyer who made it and when it was made.]
The presence of rust can be an interest killer for many because rust can be a sign that there's some underlying problem that caused the owner to abandon use of the machine.

Stopping by Vintagemachinery.org and looking at the various craftsman jointer photos will be helpful. Often in the accompanying text the owner will tell what they paid for the jointer and what condition it was in when acquired.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This kind of equipment is usually very useful for a beginner who has limited space and budget.
That said, a beginner won't usually go to the effort nor have the skills knowledge, experience, etc. to rebuild or even adjust older equipment. It is probably not worth your time to find a motor, clean everything up, sharpen and adjust the knives, and make sure it is in perfect working order.

So, my answer is to find a student who needs the tool, let them 'help' and learn about the tool, its use, and regular maintenance. Maybe charge a small fee for the education and donate the machine as part of the training.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Hopefully, this photo of the one I restored may inspire you. I found the jointer on craigs list. Designed the cabinet and repurposed a 1HP Delta tables saw motor. Found new blades on Amazon. Yes, it's a lot of work, but this old girl really works good!

Link to Google Album 4-3/8" Craftsman Jointer

Attachments

• Craftsman 4 inch jointer.jpg
    Craftsman 4 inch jointer.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 93

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Hopefully, this photo of the one I restored may inspire you. I found the jointer on Craig's list. Designed the cabinet and repurposed a 1HP Delta table saw motor. Found new blades on Amazon. Yes, it's a lot of work, but this old girl really works good!

Link to Google Album 4-3/8" Craftsman Jointer
Wow! nicely done! A craftsman!
Thanks for sharing!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS