Ironwood - Hophornbeam

tghsmith

tghs
User
I'm looking for a billet 2.5" x 3" x 30" of hornbeam Carpinus caroliniana I know this is on the large size.. thanks for any help..

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve,
I might be interested - do you have any that is 6/4 or 8/4?
I want to turn chisel handles...

tghsmith

tghs
User
very good sir, thank you for all your efforts, it sounds like a very good chance at the correct billet for this medieval reproduction.. not the first one I've made , but do want to take this one to a higher level.
main-image (3).jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
very good sir, thank you for all your efforts, it sounds like a very good chance at the correct billet for this medieval reproduction.. not the first one I've made , but do want to take this one to a higher level.View attachment 200830
Is that a crossbow TGHS? (VERY COOL!)

tghsmith

tghs
User
high tech of 1480,, horn and sinew composite bow,, 2 axis trigger mechanism,, bone and carved antler features.. some very good high res photos of this bow came out recently and even an X-ray of the lock mech,, I did dig into my antler stash and had some sections thick and solid enough to make the lock "nut" and bearing block it rides against..
IMGP0201.JPG

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I hope Steve has some that will work for you - can't wait to see your version!

tghsmith

tghs
User
the high res photos allowed me to define the sections of the antler,, I drew the outlines and made several copies for "doodle" sheets to work on carving plans,, will have to include some 2021 imagery.. some photos of a steel bowed one I made a few years back,, the modern hex nuts have been replaced with period correct square ones, The bow was purchased but the rest of the metalwork was
P1000299.JPG
P1000300.JPG
self made

My ironwood turns out to be 2 1/8" thick not 10/4. Let me know if you want it. My moisture meter was on the fritz but it was just a faulty battery. I will check the moisture content if you want me to.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS