Invicta Jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
In addition to the things you mentioned look at-

Fence- check for flatness- a lot of jointers have warped fences. It can be milled at a machine shop, but could be expensive.
Journal- Gib screws, especially the heads, some Delta jointers had screws tightened too much during installation at the factory (may not be a problem with Brazilian made Invicta) and/or users tried to turn them the wrong way to remove them and buggered the heads or sheared them off.
Journal- bearings
-turn the journal by hand- feel and listen to the bearings
Parallelogram movement- check for easy movement
Removable table tips (at journal ends. Aluminum?)- broken, cracked, badly scored?

What did you decide to do about the 3 phase motor?

And where in Charlotte is this machine and what was the phone number? :-D:-D

LorinB

New User
Lorin
I am in Charlotte and have a 16" invicta jointer with a spiral insert cutter head. Mine is running on a 20 H.P. Desco rotory converter and will take a bigger bite of any hardwood than I am man enough to feed it. The machine is a beast but the fence leaves much to be desired. From factory it will not stay at 90 deg. It was completely unusable. The dealer that I purchased form tried unsuccesfully to correct a bad design flaw before selling me the machine. When I contacted them they said that they were aware of a design problem but had a fix. They sent me a new fence with another jerry rigged solution and it has worked reasonably well for 1-1/2 years but the fence is fixed at 90 deg. which is ok for what I need a jointer to do. All said and done I love the jointer and for the price that you mentioned would buy several more if you don't need to bevel on it. Also, I kept my 8" jointer when I upgraded and in no time flat I discovered that it was not needed and sold it. The big tables and abundant smooth power will spoil you.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I am in Charlotte and have a 16" invicta jointer with a spiral insert cutter head. Mine is running on a 20 H.P. Desco rotory converter and will take a bigger bite of any hardwood than I am man enough to feed it. The machine is a beast but the fence leaves much to be desired. From factory it will not stay at 90 deg. It was completely unusable. The dealer that I purchased form tried unsuccesfully to correct a bad design flaw before selling me the machine. When I contacted them they said that they were aware of a design problem but had a fix. They sent me a new fence with another jerry rigged solution and it has worked reasonably well for 1-1/2 years but the fence is fixed at 90 deg. which is ok for what I need a jointer to do. All said and done I love the jointer and for the price that you mentioned would buy several more if you don't need to bevel on it. Also, I kept my 8" jointer when I upgraded and in no time flat I discovered that it was not needed and sold it. The big tables and abundant smooth power will spoil you.

What brand of spiral insert head does your machine have, a Byrd Shelix? I looked into getting one for my 20" planer, but the price was outrageous, even getting it from Hobren who would give me a good deal. It was 3 times what I paid for my 15" Shelix, that is my former Shelix:crybaby2:.

Man, Travis you better go get that thing before I start whining to my wife and get it myself!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Thanks for the post LorinB. Good to know.

Didn't think about the belt. Good point.

Alan, I have a phase converter so I will run it off of it for now (if I get it). Some point if I find one I may just put a single phase 3 or 5 hp motor, but no rush. Fence flatness is a good point I had not considered and LorinB's comments about the fence will make me check it that much more diligently.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
FYI- some of you are aware that I know Barry Wixey. In addition to running Wixey development which makes and sells digital gauges, etc. for WW machines, at one time he was a Delta engineer (Google him, his name is on a couple of Delta patents). Anyway, when I mentioned to him I bought an old Delta RC-51 made by Invicta in Brazil, he replied that a lot of the Delta iron (planers, jointers including the DJ-20, etc) of that vintage was made by Invicta. He said the Delta/Invicta tools were heavy duty and well made (bullet proof). Now I don't know why Delta moved production from Brazil to Taiwan and China, other than money, or how the Invicta stuff is today, but thought you might want to know.

LorinB

New User
Lorin
What brand of spiral insert head does your machine have, a Byrd Shelix? I looked into getting one for my 20" planer, but the price was outrageous, even getting it from Hobren who would give me a good deal. It was 3 times what I paid for my 15" Shelix, that is my former Shelix:crybaby2:.

Man, Travis you better go get that thing before I start whining to my wife and get it myself!!
Alan,

I don't know what brand the cutter head on my jointer is. It came stock on the Invicta. It is definitely not a Byrd. It is probably the cheapest Chinese thing that the Brazilians could find, but it works great.

Lorin

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,

I don't know what brand the cutter head on my jointer is. It came stock on the Invicta. It is definitely not a Byrd. It is probably the cheapest Chinese thing that the Brazilians could find, but it works great.

Lorin

Now I remember, when I looked up their site I noticed Invicta was selling a spiral insert head. How do you like it? Have you ever used or seen a Byrd Shelix? How do they compare. I wonder what kind of head the one Travis is looking at has?

LorinB

New User
Lorin
Now I remember, when I looked up their site did I notice Invicta was selling a spiral insert head. How do you like it? Have you ever used or seen a Byrd Shelix? How do they compare. I wonder what kind of head the one Travis is looking at has?

Alan
I like it a lot. It is very quiet and has almost no tear out, even in quarter sawn sapele which my planer with razor sharp HSS tears very bad. I can't compare it to the Byrd as I don't have any experience with one. I can say that I felt guilty buying the Invicta with the stock spiral head at the IWF show in Atlanta after talking with the nice guy at the Byrd booth who I asked to help me justify the cost difference between his product and cheaper imports. He then asked what buisness that I was in and I told him that I build custom doors. He then asked me if cheaper doors that are made in China or Tiawan are made of the same standards and quality as my doors. My answer was no but when my customers can get a serviceable door in the design they want in the time frame that they needed it at half my price that I usualy loose that customer. I am sure that he is correct it stating that their tools are superior in detail but so far I am happy with the compromise.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I went and I checked out the jointer today. Turns out it is around 6 years old and looks to be in excellent condition. Tables were flat and paralllel, fence was flat and it was only very slightly out of square (around 1/32 over 4") but easily adjustable. I looked for the issues Lorinb commented on with locking the fence, and overall, it seemed to work well for me almost exacly like the locking mechanism on my DJ-20 so no issues for me there. Still, changing the fence to anything other than 90 isn't something I really do. Other than dull blades (comes with a spare sharp set) I would say the thing is in excellent condition.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Forgot to post a pic. This is a pic from the invicta site, but it looks exactly the same. 16" wide, 102" long.

DI42.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It really is a nice machine. I didn't get any pictures of it though. Biggest concern with it is moving it. I mean, I have no clue how I would get a 1400 lb machine from here to there.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
It really is a nice machine. I didn't get any pictures of it though. Biggest concern with it is moving it. I mean, I have no clue how I would get a 1400 lb machine from here to there.

Is Scotts offer not still out there, or are you worried about getting it in the shop. Depending on the day or time I'm pretty much available. I don't know what the weight is but I also have a rolling a-frame (good for 1 ton) available. It will allow an 8ft pickup under it, and I think it needs a minimum of 9' head claerance.

Jimmy:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You'd better be glad my house is about out of electricity and my wallet is about empty!

Just go buy the dang thing ... afterall, we all need to know someone with a jointer that big! :rolf:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Scott has a jointer that big, so you do know someone with a 16" jointer;-).

I am buying it. I just have to work the details out for picking it up next week. I may take Scott up on his offer to help, but the cost of diesel fuel and the MPG are not something to take lightly. Still, it is the safest route. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to pick up a 1400 lb 105" long jointer and put it on a trailer?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You're right ... forgot about Scott's!

Let me be the first to say congrats!

As for the move, I have some ideas but no clue. However, when you head down there let me know and if I'm available I'll make the drive and give you a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS