Introducing myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicemac

New User
Kevin
Just a quick note to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I live near Franklin, TN. I have been actively woodworking for about 18 years. I have done some craft projects, but primarily focus on furniture. This keeps the wife more than happy when I NEED to spend some money on a new toy, er, tool.

Fine wood dust makes me sick, literally, and I have been looking for away to "clear the air." The ClearVue cyclone is a great start, but getting individual machines hooked up to remove ALL OF the dust is a challenge. Ed at ClearVue says he can use his power tools all day with no fine dust even on his computer screen. THAT Is the kind of dust collection I am in search of. My biggest obstacle - the DeWalt miter saw. Large hoods just don't capture the fine dust that bothers me, and getting piping in close enough to the blade to make a difference is tough. Maybe I need a combination of both. Festool has a saw with built-in piping that seems to work well, but at $1300, I am not sure I want to go there, yet. I want to fabricate something to work on my existing DW 708 that emulates Festool - if possible.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kevin. I am also a noob here.

When you get that DW708 dust collection figured out, you have to post some pictures of your solution. I have been trying to figure out how to collect dust from mine for years, and so far nothing seems to be very effective.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome Kev!!

You'll find DC topics to be well responded too and almost controversial sometimes ;-)

Enjoy the lack of sawdust and the company!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the best sawdust pile around -- we all have a great time here both making the stuff and keeping out of our nostrils and off the LOML's rugs. I'm a strong believer in getting the dust captured at the source and if I can't get it all, then I wear the best protection PPE I can (I use a particulate cartridge-equipped half-mask respirator from Grizzly). I also have a ClearVue Mini CV06 that I use to capture dust from my orbital sanding operations (connected to a ShopVac 16-gallon vacuum), and a CV1800 unit that will be installed this year (I promse -- I've had it more than 2 years but getting it installed has been a personal challenge).

We have several very proficient DC folks here, including several ClearVue owners, so do not hesitate to ask for advice as you proceed. We're happy to have you as a member.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Kevin, I am glad you could join us. You're from my old stompin' grounds, my folks still live in Old Hickory. I look forward to your input in the forums, and with a interest in dust collection you'll probably have a lot.

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kevin!!!:icon_cheers

CMS is probably one of the toughest machines to clean up after. Hope to see some pictures of what you mange to come up with.

Have fun around here. Post often and stay safe around those power tools.

Wayne

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Kevin. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You might find this thread helpful on your quest to get DC on the miter saw. Some good ideas there.

This is a great group of folks. It's wonderful to have you here. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome Kevin. If you need advice, we got plenty. Most of it is good (even mine on the odd occasion).

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Welcome! In addition to the suggestions I and others provided at Trent's link you might want to take a look at what this guy did.

For everyone, this is a link to Part 1 of a YouTube video tour of a dustless shop in California. It was (may still be) on the Laguna Tools website also. It is a fabulous shop (makes mine look liked chopped liver) filled with Laguna, Festool, etc. - more high dollar tools and accessories per square foot than I have ever seen!!! Mid-way and at the end of Part I are demos of his dual mitersaws that are on sliding platforms and have dust collection with vinyl curtain enclosures. Also, check out his setup to collect dust from his extensive inventory of ROS and other powered handtools.

Since you will need to capture the most dust possible at the source (max CFM) you will need to open any machine tool ports to 6" and will need a big DC- ClearVue is a good choice. To increase the efficiency and CFM even more and reduce the chance of dust passing through filters, you might want to consider an installation that discharges the exhaust from the cyclone outside, without using a filter.

Oh, and get a good particulate mask for mitersaw operations.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site: the best one around. If you get a good solution to your miter saw dust collection, be sure to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS