Interior Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Hi guys. I have a formal living room that I have converted into a movie room - it has a 42" wide opening.

My wife and I have wanted a custom door made for it for some time. I thought about doing it myself, but I don't feel I have the skill for it yet or the setup to do doors.

My thought is to have a nice custom door made of some hardwood like mahogany (just a suggestion), and then a small panel that pins into the ceiling next to it, maybe 10" wide or so (I'm open to design suggestions). This way I could still open the whole thing if I needed to get something large through the opening, but normally I would open a regular door. The panel would have some kind of fancy glass in it (stained or with a design or something). I would like to be able to lock these doors with a key.

Just to make it more difficult, I would like someone to not only build it, but to install it as well.

I am open to non-professionals and am not in a great rush to complete this, but we do want something that we can appreciate as more than just another door (otherwise I would do it ;) ). The goal here is looks as well as function.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
I'd love to help you out - I just don't know the next time I'd be making it to the Charlotte Area to be able to build a jamb and Hang It.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Do you think it possible to hang the door in the existing frame? That's my current thought - there's some molding around it and it doesn't look very different from what my other doors are hanging in.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Sure - You could most likley use what's there already. Not sure what I was thinking for a moment there...

Anyway, just check the current Jamb for square, and if it's not too far out, just make your new door the exact opening - Then when finished, you can trim it to size... Atlease, that's how I do it..

I did a two part blog on making a solid wood door for Fine Woodworking - It's still up on their site if you wanted to get a better idea of the process.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Doors are quite easy with the right set up.I use a mortise and tenon set up from freud.If I was a little closer I would help you out.But if you decide to do it yourself and have any questions just let me know.These are flat panel out of cypress.
GEDC0102.jpg

LorinB

New User
Lorin
I am interested in your project. I own Unique Doors. We are a small (myself and 1 employee) company here in Charlotte. We cater mainly to builders but work with a lot of architects and home owners as well specializing in designing, building and installing custom doors. I would be open to the idea if you would like to help or have any part in the process.

Lorin Bullard
(704) 506-1443

DaveD

New User
Dave
I can't do it but I'd consider making a full 42" wide door before I'd add a side panel. Or maybe a 2 door operation if its practical to typically keep them open. If I was going to make a 42" door I'd for sure make it 1-3/4" thick for the rails/stiles.

If a 2 door operation I'd consider doing it yourself. Lot lighter and less room for warp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS