Interesting Maple but is it worth Harvesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
One of these days I will be moving from my current property to a place with fewer trees. Below are pics of a maple that intrigues me. I am taking several more logs to Scott Smith to have sawn and dried and was thinking about taking this one as well. I'm thinking about cutting the butt log into turning blanks that I'd seal for future use and take 2 logs from the upper trunk for boards. Not sure if this would be classified as a bunch of small burls or cankers but it would seem to have some potential for good figuring.

Thoughts, suggestions?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Maple.jpg
    Maple.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 372
  • Maple 2.jpg
    Maple 2.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 362

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Me, I would cut it and see what you got. I like working with interesting types of wood. Post some pics when you drop it. Enjoy.

Red

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
That tree is a gold mine of maple burls! It is a turners dream come true.

I was thinking along those same lines. Since I am Lathless at the moment and cannot rough out blanks if I drop the tree, a friend suggested "storing it on the stump" and should I sell this property, exclude it from the sale with a caveat that I can return in the future and harvest it when I'm ready. I like that idea.

Thanks folks!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I was thinking along those same lines. Since I am Lathless at the moment and cannot rough out blanks if I drop the tree, a friend suggested "storing it on the stump" and should I sell this property, exclude it from the sale with a caveat that I can return in the future and harvest it when I'm ready. I like that idea.

Thanks folks!

A few thoughts from another latheless nomad. I'd be tempted to take the tree sooner rather than later if it were mine.

1. What is the diameter of the tree about 4' above the ground and is pic #1 that butt portion? Thinking potential saw logs/figured boards here and what Scott would suggest for a red maple (Acer rubrum, soft maple) with lots of fairly small burls. :icon_scra

2. How straight is the upper section (2 saw logs x 8' each?) for lumber?

3. You could chain saw burl chunks from the lower portion, remove the bark, and coat them in SealCoat pending your crossover to the dark side of lathes. Or sell those burls and retire with a nice nest egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors