interesting looking saw, but dangerous technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Actually, I didn't see his hands or fingers in the red zone at all. Most of the time he used the clamp and with the tile he was close but not in the red zone. Gloves I can agree with.

George

M

McRabbet

Actually, I think I understand why he's wearing gloves and I think it is safe. First, they are thin, tight gloves that still provide good tactile control. Second, he is cutting materials that likely send off hot "sawdust" of metallic particles that would easily burn bare skin. When they change the blade to the diamond embedded one, then he removes the gloves and cuts a blue tile while holding it with bare hands. That is his dangerous move -- I would prefer to see the tile clamped in place against the fence.

nelsone

New User
Ed
The other thing to consider is that he is using an abrasive blade, not a toothed blade. They'll still cut you but not like a toothed blade. I've accidentally touched the side of the blade on a tile saw several times.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can attest to the danger of wearing gloves while using miter saws. 20+ years ago a worker on my crew was using one with jersey knit gloves on. He got his hand too close to the blade & it grabbed the glove, pulling his hand further into the blade. It severed the extensor tendon on his thumb.
Power tools are omnivores. They'll eat anything.
Having said that and acknowledging a healthy personal respect for them, I didn't see anything wrong with the saw video as presented. I'm sure the producer had a consult with an OSHA rep before he released it to avert any liability issues.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I think the gloves he is wearing are the kind I wear to change sawblades at work they are a cut resistant type of glove 75.00 per pair. could be wrong but Who knows. By the way have any of you addressed the company about these issues. It might not be a bad Ideal. wont help this vid but maybe the next one.

Thanks Mark

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I agree,that the gloves are those safety gloves.I don't wear gloves on any tools except the lathe,YUP the lathe,but only when I am roughing out some REAL dry big bowl blanks as those dang chips hurt,but I only wear one one the left hand that is near the tool rest,but still behind it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gloves are commonly worn in metal fabricating shops, to keep the metal filings and sharp edges from causing harm, not to mention the heat. The ones that he is wearing are the more expensive, tight fiting ones, which would be appropriate.

I have a hand-held circular saw version of that unit, and it is really nice for cutting steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors