Interesting find - what would you do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
The wife and I went to the Southern Ideal Home Show at the state fairgrounds today. Mostly what you would expect, but I did get a chance to stop by the Anchor Hardwood booth and talk with Andy. Man, they have some beautiful wood!

The most interesting wood was a pretty unassuming piece of river recovered cypress that was about and inch thick, 18" wide, and 4' long. Not much to look at until Andy told me they had it carbon dated and it is 8,600 YEARS OLD! I asked him if they had sold it all and he said they still had some left....at only $75.00 a bf.

He told me someone had bought a piece about the size of the one on display and paid around $350. Apparently he just hung it on his wall with the carbon dating certificate.

My question is, what would you do with a few bf of 8,600 year old wood?:icon_scra

pviser

New User
paul
That's a challenging question. My first impression is to do as little as possible because I really wouldn't feel worthy to alter a specimen so much older than my speck of a lifetime. On the other hand, gentle and constrained changes may allow the wood to be used on a regular basis, thus enjoyed by ones who never would have seen it in the river or swamp. I'll be eager to see what ideas my NCWW friends come up with.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hmmm? That piece will set you back about $450! Ouch! At 8,600 years old it's a rare find, but whatever prompted them to have it carbon dated? If I were considering it I'd sure want to have an independent evaluation of the dating data to convince me that it was really that old.

Cross-cut in small pieces and sell to fellow NCWW members? :saw:

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Well if it were in my shop, it would probably end up as sawdust in the dust collector and scraps in the burn pile just like most of the rest of his family....:gar-La;

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
That sure would make a very, very, very expensive segmented vase. I would be sweating through the whole construction process. :gar-La;

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
It would be a cool piece to just own. Maybe make a frame from some other wood and frame the cypress.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS