Interesting Butcher Block request

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
We are doing all the cabinets for a new construction home.

Here comes the customer’s request.

He wants a butcher block top, end grain up, on his laundry room cabinets. I thought that was a bit unconventional, but sure.

Then comes the next request.
He wants butcher block end grain up shelves above the laundry room cabinets. I cautioned the costs, he says no problem that is what he wants.

LOL am I missing something, is it just me, or is this one of those 1/1,000,000 weird requests?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Can an end grain shelf bear a load? Seems to me like it would split... You know, show him a demo of kids karate chopping endgrain-cut boards in half.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... He wants butcher block end grain up shelves above the laundry room cabinets. I cautioned the costs, he says no problem that is what he wants. ...
Send some of those 'costs are no problem' my way once you tire of them. Or at least have them create a popular blog and then become internet stars so they can propagate those thoughts

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Interesting...do you plan to make the shelves standard thickness (3/4")?. It may be a situation where the focus will be on the underside of the shelves.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sounds like he read somewhere that end grain butcher block is the way to go. Probably a home design or architectural magazine. Unfortunately he stopped reading before he got to the details about when and where it is appropriate to use. The end grain cabinet tops in the laundry room is certainly doable, although expensive. Then I think you should very carefully explain to him the inherent weakness of end grain shelves. If he says he understands the weakness but still wants them, then it's his money. But be prepared to replace them in the not too distant future.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Seems like an ideal application for butcher block laminate. It doesn’t seem to be available in end grain though.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you do make butcher block shelves, you could laminate the bottom with ply, or carbon fiber .... or you could get real wonky and sandwich it in. BTW That is one of the weirdest requests I have ever heard of .......

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Treat it like your floating shelves. Structural core and endgrain shell. Guess Oka said the same...

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So are you doing the washing machine also? Just wondering if he requested if chicken pluckers be installed in the drum?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I'd suggest adding a pair of end-to-end 1/4" threaded rods through the length of the shelves and make them 1" thick. The rod ends would be hidden from view by recessing the nut and washer. Shelves could be adjustable on shelf pins or standards set into dados, depending on the style the customer prefers.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bob FANTASTIC Idea, 3/8 holes, of course counterbored ends BUT NO CLAMPS!!! glue em as you slip over rods when all on snug the nuts tap everybody flat tighten let dry

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Just someone who wants the look, I'd just treat them as a floating shelf, the glue will be more than strong enough to support whever the client puts on them and the hardware would probably fail before the wood anyways. Yesterday I tested a similiar end grain up project I have to do and it held my 170lbs.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Wait for his next request- an end grain bucher block but with one of those "simple" 3D patterns . . . . . o_O

IMG_2045.JPG

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I made this top a few years ago for my daughter and it has held up well. Waterlox finish is almost pristine even after she had sublet the apt. to someone who scratched up all her pots and other furniture. I don't think a 7/8" or thicker shelves would be a problem w/ 24" spaced supports. Didn't specify whether they would be floating.
IMG_20180820_123329011_HDR.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS