Interested in chairmaking? Apply now!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I received this message from John C. Campbell Folk School:

I hope this message finds you well! I’m Barbie White, Outreach Coordinator at the John C. Campbell Folk School. I wanted to introduce myself and let you know about an opportunity the Folk School is hosting for skilled artists in chairmaking.

We are hosting Traditional Craft Mentorships, a grant-funded opportunity for early-to-mid career artists to spend a month at the Folk School this fall, learning from master artisans. The Folk School will offer six mentorships that bring skilled practitioners of traditional Appalachian craft together with emerging artists for a period of focused creative study in small groups.

The application for these Traditional Chairmaking Mentorships is now live. The deadline for applications is on August 28, and we’ll be notifying and selecting applicants by September 4. The application is available at this link - SlideRoom :: Update your Browser

Here are the other mentorship areas of study:
Session 1: Basketry, Music, Weaving (September 20 – October 17, 2020)
Session 2: Blacksmithing, Chairmaking, Fiber Arts (October 25 – November 21, 2020)

For these mentorships, we will be looking for emerging and early career artists in traditional craft who want to expand their skill set. Each program of study will accept three applicants. Working with master artisans, mentors will delve into the historic and cultural context of their subject area. Participants can expect to learn new techniques and to understand the relevancy of their craft in the Appalachian region, gaining the knowledge and inspiration to pass those traditions on to others. The Folk School will cover the cost of tuition, housing and meals, along with a $900 stipend for travel and material costs. I would encourage anyone interested to apply as soon as possible, since there are only 18 slots total.

Here is a link to our blog, where interested applicants can learn more about the classes being offered in each program, instructors, and frequently asked questions - Mentorships - John C. Campbell Folk School Blog

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Man, that would be an awesome experience and something I wish I could do. Unfortunately I do not have the vacation hours available to be away for that long.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Eric Cannizarro will be the Windsor Chairmaking instructor; he studied with Curtis Buchanana in Jonesboro, TN.

Lyle Wheeler is the Appalachian Chairmaking instructor.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
They have a huge raft of classes at the Arrowmont Scholl in Gatlinburg, TN too. A bit pricey for some but a great education.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I wonder how they're going to work that around COVID. I might apply if not for that.

I am actually going out there in January for a week long class for turning, its something I am looking forward to. They are keeping classes/groups smaller to accommodate state/country COVID requirements. It will probably inlcude temperature checks everyday and things like that as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS