interest in a hand saw sharpening workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Durning the picnic it was expressed to me that there was some interest in a hand saw sharpening workshop. I would like to offer this workshop up for anyone who would like to be able maintain their handsaws and not have to send them off. In this workshop we will sharpen one rip saw, one crosscut saw, and a dove tail saw. We will explore tooth geometry and what makes these differences more and less effective for different woods. We will discuss how to get and maintain an even tooth line. How to joint, shape, and file teeth, how to set the tooth line.
The first time I gave this workshop it was a little lose and not as structured. This one will be more structured and I will demonstrate what we are going to do and then I'll watch you and coach you through the process.
We will also discuss sharpening supply's what to get and where to get them, we will touch on advanced subjects such as smithing and re-tensioning a blade, along with how to reset and adjust the back saw.
this workshop would more than likely be held at Bill Clemmons shop and will be 10am-3 or 4pm, or until finished. The cost of this workshop will be the 30.00 donation to the site. Lunch will be pizza form the local joint close to Bills that would $5 a head, or you can bring your own.
i know most of you don't own a lot of handsaws and even if you only own a dovetail saw this workshop can prepare you to maintain a healthy saw for a life time.
i look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Would definitely attend if the date is after the 10th of whatever month it is held in!

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Like everybody before me. I gotta look at the date. I have some things scheduled as far out as October but I am definitely interested.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
This is a real interest for me. As everyone, dates are the problem. As of right now, I am in.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I'm Interested. I have some old panel saws that haven't been touched up and I have a bunch of saw files I got from an antique store. I tried filing one of mine but I don't know if I did it properly.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good morning, gang, I would like to throw a few dates out there and you need to let me know which one works for you, July 14, July 21, August 18, August 25.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Any of these dates will work for me, Richard.

I'll be coming from Richmond for the day and given other travel plans I do have a slight preference for July 14, but any of the dates will work.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Any of those dates work for me. Aug 18th would be a little tight as we have an ice cream social at 6:00 PM. We should be through in time for me to make it. I could always leave early if necessary. Bruce W.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok I've waited to give everyone who stated they were interested to chine one on the dates. Not everyone responded so I'll go ahead and go with the earliest date of July 14th. I will start a sign up page durning the day tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS