Intarsia Class with Mike Mathieu (wdkits1) - Who is interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Are there some alternate dates for the workshop ? (the second Saturday of each month is the date for our Western NC Woodworking Association meeting). If this date is firm, I can work my other plans around it because I'd really like to participate. I am fine with doing one of your keepsake box kits for individual hands on work. I could bring my scroll saw (an 18" Hegner MultiMax on a stand) and an assortment of blades. I assume that Mike is going to provide us with a list of tools that we'll need for shaping and sanding the individual pieces. Hopefully that list will come soon enough so if items need to be purchased, we'll have adequate lead time.

Mike, TIA. Rob

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
It's hard for me to plan this far in advance due to "flexible" work. So I'll say I can make it either day, and just plan to make it happen!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
May 9&10 work for me. I can bring at least one scroll saw. And we can likely arrange to have the two on the trailer available if we can find somebody to transport them from Durham.

I am also in favor of the kit / hands on idea. like the idea of having something to take with me afterwards.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Ken, if the scroll saws can get inside my van, I can bring them to the project location. It would be nice to have help loading and unloading them!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
May 9&10 work for me. I can bring at least one scroll saw. And we can likely arrange to have the two on the trailer available if we can find somebody to transport them from Durham.

If the workshop is to be held here I can go get the trailer and bring it to my shop. No problem.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it would be a good idea to have this at your shop and thanks for offering to get the trailer moved.

With folks from GSO and RTP both interested you're kind of middle ground.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will be in PA in May for a scrollsaw event but put me down for a kit.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Everyone
Looks like the plan is coming together.
To Bill C- your offer to use your shop sounds like a winner.
It would be good if everyone that attends would have a scroll saw to use. Other tools to assemble the project kits would be a belt sander and a dremel tool with assorted sanding drums and a drill with 1/16" drill bit.Shop supplies like glue , sandpaper
To be able to complete this project on Saturday the 9th ,my Rose Box would be a good choice as it has the least amount of small pieces but is still fairly challenging.
Rose box.JPG.
Mike

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hi Everyone
Looks like the plan is coming together.
To Bill C- your offer to use your shop sounds like a winner.
It would be good if everyone that attends would have a scroll saw to use. Other tools to assemble the project kits would be a belt sander and a dremel tool with assorted sanding drums and a drill with 1/16" drill bit.Shop supplies like glue , sandpaper
To be able to complete this project on Saturday the 9th ,my Rose Box would be a good choice as it has the least amount of small pieces but is still fairly challenging.
View attachment 15444.
Mike

Be honored to host this event. I have a scroll saw, but it's an antique Delta and probably can't be relied on. We'll have the two on the Outreach trailer, plus several folks have offered to bring theirs. Anyone else who can easily transport theirs should probably plan on doing so. We'll have plenty of room to set everyone up.

I have the belt sander (6x48 belt & 9" disk). I have a couple of Dremel-like tools, but probably not a complete assortment of attachments. Participants should bring their own if they have them. I have glue and sandpaper, but feel free to bring your own, if convenient. I have at least one 1/16" drill bit, but will pick some more up if necessary.

Looking forward to it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Wow, what a tremendous response from all! It sounds like it's going to be a full house and a full day at Bill's shop.

I've followed Mike's last 2 projects and they're stunning with that 3D detail and wood choices. He's a master at intarsia. How did he learn to do it and what prompted him to get in to it?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
For what it's worth, I did several intarsia projects several years ago. I used a 12" bandsaw with a 1/8" blade. The only time I used a scroll saw was for an internal cut. For me, when cutting 3/4" stock, which I used on all of my projects, the bandsaw works best. I also have 1/16" blades for the bandsaw. I did all my sanding with a spindle sander and a 1" x 30" belt sander with the platen removed. Worked great for sanding contours. Just my 2 cents.

Below is the intarsia drawer front that I did for the community chest.
101_4984.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, Not familiar with the Dremel. You'd need to find out how easy the blade changes are and make sure it does not use tabbed blades but straight blades. Tabbed are no good for inside cuts.

Those are things that make or break a scroll saw. Looks like a fairly small table, but you can probably live with that for a while as space is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS