Insulating Garage Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Got to make a decision on how to insulate my garage door. It will be hot soon. My plan is to put 1" styrofoam (or some type of foam sheet product) on it. Any options other than styrofoam? There is a flame retardant paint I have seen referenced. Has anyone used such a thing to keep it from expoding in a fire? Is the foil faced product better from a fire/insulating perspective? How should I attach it? Liquid nails? I can't wedge it in because the inside face is fairly smooth...ie: no horizontal rails.
Thanks for any advice.
Mark

thrytis

New User
Eric
I can't find a reference now, but someone does make a fire resistant foam insulation, or at least one side has a fire resistant coating on it.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mark,
I did my door with styrofoam board and it worked great. I was able to double it up and used liquid nails to hold it in place.

Jeff

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the responses!
Here's what I've learned:
Thermax by Dow: http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/thermax/whychoose.htm
is the only fire resistant foam panel with a decent rating. It comes white or foil faced with a 1.25 mil (light duty) or 4 mil (heavy duty) aluminium face. The white faced version can be joined with a white tape and result in a finished appearance for a utility space. The 1" has an R value of 6.5 and 1.5" has an R value of 9.8. It can be attached to the wall/ceiling/door with any of the foamboard adhesives.
Initial quote from the first place on the light duty, 1.5" foil faced is $37.50/ 4/8 sheet. Waiting for a quote from the second place. I've decided that since my wife no longer parks in the garage we can go with the light duty (she forgot to raise the garage door before backing out one time:slap: )

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mark,
I did my door with styrofoam board and it worked great. I was able to double it up and used liquid nails to hold it in place.

Jeff

+1 I used styrofoam boads with good results on the garage side of my basement.

Rocker

New User
John
Tarhead,
You might want to try the Insulfoam garage door insulation kit. I ordered three of them from
Insulfoam,
Anderson, SC.
Tele: 864 224 0900, select option #1 Customer Service.
Their kits cost $65 + $20 UPS charge for shipping.

This insulation is a foam that has white plastic on the exposed side. I'm not sure of the R value, but I'm pretty sure it is equivalent to Thermax.
Regards,
Rocker

thrytis

New User
Eric
I checked with the Todd Culp, Cabarrus County building inspector regarding using exposed foam insulation on garage doors. He confirmed that the insulation has to be covered.

My test with plastic primer seemed to hold okay to the foil on the foam, so i think i'm going to pick up some Flamestop and prime and paint my door. I wish i had known about the Thermax before... it probably would have been less work.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Eric!
Dry Dog in Indian Trail also has Thermax and better prices. $28 for a 1.5" foil faced 4X8 panel. No one in the Charlotte area carries the white faced version. I'll probably go with this next week when I get back from the left coast.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks Eric!
Dry Dog in Indian Trail also has Thermax and better prices. $28 for a 1.5" foil faced 4X8 panel. No one in the Charlotte area carries the white faced version. I'll probably go with this next week when I get back from the left coast.

Mark would you happen to have the website and contact info for Dry Dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors