Installing a Pencil Drawer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My oldest daughter gave me a photo of a desk that she asked if I could build for her.....

JuliesDesk.PNG

I have completed the trestle legs and thinking through the desk writing surface. (Possibly solid oak edge banding on 3/4" ply.)

My real issue is hanging the two pencil drawers with no face frame and not enough space for a web frame under the drawer(s). I was looking at slides for suspending the drawers from the underside of the top but all are too long. I only have a drawer depth of about 13". Drawers themselves will be around 12" x 3 1/2" x 24"....true pencil drawers. :)

Has anyone encountered this type of issue and willing to share some ideas? (She is pretty insistent on having the drawer space.)

Thanks,

Wayne

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Wayne,

I would add a centered drawer slide support using a 3/4" by 3-1/2" board of appropriate length and attach it with pocket hole screws in stepped holes drilled vertically through the board into the top. Add the drawer slides to each side and size the drawers to the appropriate width. The drawers should have false fronts to cover the slides and support. If you make the top from a glued up hardwood panel, you'll need to elongate the support board holes to allow for wood movement.

HTH. My two cents worth.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I would dado the drawer sides and screw on side rails with a strip to fit in the dados. Given the dimensions of a 24" wide by 12" deep drawer, racking will be a problem so a better solution would be slides if you could find ones that fit. Also could cut the width down and make more drawers. Without full extension slides be aware of how much drawer can open under the top and still be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS