Installed Dust Control

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I finally got around to installing a more efficient dust control system in the shop. For years, I have been dragging a single DC hose from machine to machine. In all honesty, it wasn't too much of a hassle until I built my new out-feed table. While the table has been a wonderful addition to the shop, I was getting tired of moving the table every time I needed to move the DC hose from the table saw to some other tool. I found myself getting lazy and using equipment without first attaching the hose - things were getting dusty. All of that has now changed. You will note from the pictures that I ran metal duct work around the shop with drops to the various tools, I even installed a floor sweep. I think I will find opening and closing blast gates to be far less irritating than moving the out-feed table.

The duct work is 5" snap lock pipe that I ordered from Oneida. The fittings (wyes, 45 degree elbows, 5" to 4" reducers, etc.) were ordered from Sheetmetal Kid. Truthfully, I really wanted to use PVC, but finding 5" PVC was a challenge and the cost of the PVC fittings was eye opening. I think the metal will be fine (I don't like the look of the foil tape, but I'll learn to live with it). I still have two more 5" hoses to connect (hose should be here on Tuesday), but the system is up and functioning. :)

Zub0OwDBRJ+uvX8FQstBLw.jpg
pXAS%mtjR467x98%5PX9mw.jpg
yj7nDimHRPuONcGyuPvEgw.jpg
WCkBChH8Toq+WqLQNP7JMA.jpg
yoFf+Z8hS4q70MpzBOqSyA.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nicely done. Opening and closing blast gates is definitely going to be easier than dragging hoses around the shop.

Reactions: drw

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am in the process too. Just purchased a new dust collector and hoping to start buying piping and fittings in the next few weeks. So I keep zooming in on your pics to steal some ideas. Would love to pick your brain some time

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Very nice. Where did you order the flexible hose from and how big is the shop? Everything looks great.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am in the process too. Just purchased a new dust collector and hoping to start buying piping and fittings in the next few weeks. So I keep zooming in on your pics to steal some ideas. Would love to pick your brain some time

Robert, anytime you would like to see the shop just let me know. There was a learning curve, but once I got my rhythm things progressed well.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Very nice. Where did you order the flexible hose from and how big is the shop? Everything looks great.

David, thank you for your comments. The shop is about 850 sq,ft. I ordered the flexible hose (5") from Oneida. Anything ordered from Oneida is going to be on the expensive side, but it is quality material. I plan to use it on the drop downs to the table-saw, jointer, and bandsaw. I also bought some black hose (you can see it on the wall by the planer) from Klingspor. While it didn't cost much, it isn't as flexible nor does it seem as durable as the hose from Oneida...but, we'll see.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great looking shop, Donn. And the DC system looks very well thought out and nicely done.

Bill, I thought about you when I decided to put in a floor sweep. I recall you saying you enjoyed your sweeps and wished you had installed more.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Donn,

Good layout for much of your ductwork with one significant exception. Your drop from the ceiling and flexible duct connection to the cyclone inlet is costing you significant performance due to numerous bends and the high static pressure (SP) loss due to the flexible exhaust hose. You would be better off moving the cyclone to the right corner (past the Festool systainer storage) and using a straighter run diagonally to a wye at the branch serving your sander and table saw, and then an angled connection to replace the elbow at the next riser. 90 degree elbows have high SP loss; you are better using paired 45 elbows with a short straight section and my suggested routing eliminates the entire vertical duct segments closest to the cyclone. Flexible dust has nearly 10 fold resistance to flow over straight pipe and every segment should be kept to a minimum length. Hope this helps.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Rob, thank you for the analysis. If I encounter problems with the current setup, you have provided me with some excellent options for resolving them; much appreciated.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Raleigh Durham Rubber and Gasket STOCKS flexable hose. That's where I buy the short lengths I need to connect cyclone to trash can.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great! I haven't started mine yet but it may be up to second on my project list. I am also planning 5 inch snap lock but will probably just buy it at home depot. I will check out the sheetmetal kid for fittings. Did you have trouble sourcing the snap lock?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Looks great! I haven't started mine yet but it may be up to second on my project list. I am also planning 5 inch snap lock but will probably just buy it at home depot. I will check out the sheetmetal kid for fittings. Did you have trouble sourcing the snap lock?

Jim, thank you for your comments. I looked at the duct work (5") at Lowes and Home Depot, but it is too thin (30 gauge, as I recall). From all that I read, that gauge will not hold up under a vacuum; that is why I went with the pipe from Oneida (26 gauge). That said, it may work for you, but given all the effort that goes into constructing the system, I didn't want to take a chance. (I know this sounds a bit self-serving, but I do have 50 feet of pipe left over that I would be glad to let go at much discounted price, as well as a few fittings)

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Looks fantastic. Have you had a chance to see how well the shroud/hood at your miter saw station works with this setup?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It must work very well, I don't see any sawdust!;) Nice, clean shop Donn, now I feel like a slob.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS