Install of Byrd Head on Jet Jointer with Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I finally pulled the trigger and installed a Byrd Shelix head on my 6" Jet jointer.

First I removed the fence, rear access panel, and belt cover to access the belt and remove it.

image.jpeg

I removed the two bolts holding the head assembly. These are a little tight to access but take your time and lift slightly on the head to remove it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next you have to loosen the belt pulley set screws and remove the pulley. I had to use a gear puller to get mine off but it came of very easy. Remove the key way.

Next using the the gear puller, I removed the mounting heads that contain the bearings. They came off fairly easy. Again take your time and work slowly.

image.jpeg

The bearings were a little more difficult and luckily I had a smaller gear puller. I even had to slightly grind the jaws of my gear puller to get it to fit the space between the bearing and head. I removed both bearings and laid the old head aside. Remember the knifes may be old but are still sharp so handle with care. This pic shows the old head with the bearings installed and the new Shelix without bearings. The bearings are also different sizes and so keep that in mind.

image.jpeg

Next I wrapped the Shelix head in tape to protect it (AND ME) from damage while installing it.

image.jpeg

I installed the new bearings using a deep well socket and gently tapped them into place. I then reinstalled the mounting heads and put the pulley back on. Remember to tighten the set screws. Reinstall the bolts... Again you have to be patient and articulate the head slightly to get them started. I loosely started one and then started the second one before tightening. Sorry no pics but it is hard to get a good pic.

image.jpeg

I replaced the belt, belt cover, and rear panel.... After a good cleaning of course.

Next I removed the tape and raised the outfield table level with the cutter head. I rotated the head until I found top dead center on an insert at one end of the head. I then moved to the other end and found it to be about 3/1000 lower!!! Hmmm.... So I used an old filler gauge and cut a shim. I loosened the head assembly on the lower end, inserted the shim, and rechecked the cutter height. Both ends were dead on!!!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I replaced and aligned the fence, oiled all adjusting rods, cleaned everything really well, and cleaned the beds. I also applied a sticker showing it is a Shelix!!��

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last thing was to make a test cut. I used a piece of 4/4 rough sawn cherry. Cuts like butter but sounds so different!! Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the test cut. However, I promise it is glassy smooth and dead square!

My my final review is two thumbs up!!

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Unfortunately a gear puller is mandatory. You can go to most auto parts stores and they have a loaner tool program. I would take the old head when you go and make sure their puller will fit.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Unfortunately a gear puller is mandatory. You can go to most auto parts stores and they have a loaner tool program. I would take the old head when you go and make sure their puller will fit.

It is also very handy to have several gear/pulley pullers when it comes to maintaining woodworking equipment if one likes to do so themselves. You can go the loaner route at auto parts stores as that is certainly an option if they are available when you need them (sometimes they are not as they do not always get returned, hence the modest deposit fee) but the basic puller kits are not especially expensive (though some of the more convenient "EZ" designs can certainly be a bit expensive). I have three that fit most of my shop needs, a mid sized traditional 2/3 arm puller with extension pieces, a smaller EZ type puller and a slide hammer kit with both internal and external pullers that are handy for dismantling equipment where there is no shaft to pull against (such as with hollow shafts and internal bearing removal, blind holes, etc.). It is not the sort of thing one needs every day, but they certainly are handy to have when you do need them if your budget allows.

Another option for those less mechanically inclined or on more limited budgets when performing such upgrades and maintenance is to make good friends with a fellow woodworker that already has the gear and know how. Camaraderie is an excellent way to expand friendships and gain direct access to mentoring and those with certain complimentary skill sets and the great thing about most hobbies is that most fellow hobbyists are eager to lend assistance to their fellow hobbyists simply for the asking and friendship. So please do not ever hesitate to ask for help when you need such from the community as fellow woodworkers will often step up to lend a hand with few, if any, strings attached!

bbrown

Bill
User
Ethan, thanks for the great reply and info. Steve, I appreciate your taking the effort to post how you did this. I hope to replace my old jointer blades with a Bryd Shelix at some point.

--Bill

NTCook

New User
Nick
Good to see how happy you are with the Shelix. I upgraded mine about 2 years ago and the noise loss (for me) is as important as the improved performance when jointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS