Inspiration?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
After finishing the John Townsend Knee Hole Bureau (see below) over a year ago, I was burnt out. For months now I have walked out in the shop and looked around at all the covered tools, turned and went back in the house to watch TV. I can't remember in my 50 years of woodworking lacking any wish to build something.

Have any of the rest of you experienced this "burn out"?
What did you do to get out of the funk?

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 101

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used to rely on inspiration and it always let me down. You have to just be brutally consistent in working every day. Make something. Anything. If you look through my gallery you see lots of little things that I have made. Some are nice, some are really not. But, I work on making something every day. That’s the secret. Eventually you will want to make something big and complex again. But right now you need time to process what you have done and the best way to do that is to work through it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
After I finish a large furniture piece, I try to work on a smaller piece, like a stool, or a box, or a shop project. Something less intense where it doesn't matter if it's not perfect. I also use these "lesser" projects to experiment w/ techniques, materials, finishes, etc.

emichael

eric
User
Maybe your fear of the known (a complex, all-encompassing project), is greater than your quest for the unknown. How about doing a relatively easy piece that you can knock off in a few days?
I agree. Making a simple thing just for your own satisfaction can be very decompressing, especially after the mental intensity of a complex project.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have no answers, but face a somewhat similar situation.
After several years of hands-on fix-it work (for others, paid), I have had no energy for my shop or projects. I'm okay with that, and now after at least a year or more of 'pause,' I now am finding myself seeking new ideas and considering other projects - a re-kindling of possibilties.

For me, it's okay to go dormant for a (longish) while; I know that I will get back to it - and if I don't, I presumably have other interesting things to do. I love having the capabilities and have several times done a quick 5 minute task for a friend or neighbor that they could not easily do without the ww-ing tools that I have. That in and of itself is gratifying.
I do not ascribe to the 'work on the shop itself' theory when i have no projects (and the state of my shop is a testament to that); I simply 'leave the shop dormant' for a seasons (or seasons). I have simply accepted that my interests in projects goes through cycles. I also have not typically gone from 'major furniture project' to major project - I usually prefer a mix of complexities.

That's not advice - simply my approach. Mike's 'make something every day' approach is very different, and a very reasonable one; until i retire, that will certainly not be my approach.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’ve certainly experienced shop burnout after a large project, especially if I don’t know what I want to do next. Then I wander around but do nothing (can only clean so much).

Since I got the larger lathe a few years ago I’ve found going to do some turning with no plan, just letting the piece come out of what’s mounted, is a good transition to get the juices flowing. Grab something from the wood pile and throw it on the lathe. Sometimes I like the result and sometimes I throw it in the fire pit, but either way it helps after I do however many it takes to get out of the funk.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Your cabinet is beautiful – it looks like you put an immense amount of effort into it and it shows. Burnout isn’t surprising – for me, even on less complex (but months long) projects there were times work became more of a chore than a hobby, even though the outcome was worth it.

If you’re a hobbyist (as opposed to professional) woodworker taking a sanity break is a good way to recharge. I agree with the others though - you may want to try making something totally different – turnings, intarsia, small boxes, cutting boards, etc. that aren’t so demanding in terms of time or level of effort. You can always go back to creating works of art after you refill the tank. :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
David, you may want to consider a less ambitious project than the Key Hole Bureau (which is stunningly beautiful) and will yourself to begin a new project. On occasion I have found it difficult to overcome the inertia of doing-nothing, but if I will myself to get started I seem to regain momentum and enthusiasm. Good Luck!

Howie

New User
Howie
After finishing the John Townsend Knee Hole Bureau (see below) over a year ago, I was burnt out. For months now I have walked out in the shop and looked around at all the covered tools, turned and went back in the house to watch TV. I can't remember in my 50 years of woodworking lacking any wish to build something.

1667138298996.png

Attachments

• james-krenov-fine-things-in-wood-are-important-not-quote-at-storemypic-b2d9a.png
    james-krenov-fine-things-in-wood-are-important-not-quote-at-storemypic-b2d9a.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Condider this - Your knee hole bureau is stunning. Take one or two if the more difficult tasks you had to master and teach others how to do it
We can find a shop and will certainly assist in the prep and planning
Just a thought

Josh Bryie

New User
Josh
Gonna throw my two cents on the pile. I've experienced this myself. It always a little different for me, though. I'm an amateur, self taught, slightly above hobbyist woodworker. My problem is how the shop explodes after a big project. Tools, sawdust, scraps, etc. Then, throw in being gone out of the country for several months for work (multiple times), come back, and yep....shop is still a disaster.

I've done the same exact thing. I've walked into the shop, seen the disorganized, sawdust-covered mess, said nope, and went to find the couch, feeling completely unmotivated again.

Here's what has worked for me. Like many others have already said, find something small. Find a part of your shop that can be more organized or improved. Think of a small gift for someone. Get you some caffeine going, turn your phone ringer off, tell the significant other and/or kids you'll be in the shop for a bit, and then crank up some music. Open up the doors (love me some fall weather), and take it a step at a time.

As for inspiration, check out Pintrest. There are some very creative and unique projects out there that have caught my eye plenty of times.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

After such a magnificent piece of work, I can see where burn out may occur if you think your next project will have to be bigger and better. That's a tough act to follow.

Like others have said, change the pace. That helps keep me in the shop and interested. Not all projects need to be as perfect. Here's what I've been doing for the last little while for a variety of projects.

1         changeup - 1.jpg
This chest of drawers ate up a lot of walnut and many weeks of time. I was burned out to a degree.

1         changeup - 2.jpg
I framed up a couple of lattice panels on a couple of knee walls. Nice outdoor work.
1         changeup - 3.jpg
Made a box for a radio and speakers for a friend's 50 Chevy fast back.

1         changeup - 4.jpg
Repaired some chairs for a neighbor.

1         changeup - 5.jpg
Made a couple of Walnut bedside lamp stands (Back to woodworking again)

1         changeup - 6.jpg
did a couple of simple closet shoe racks

1         changeup - 7.jpg
Made 50+ gitter sticks to go between the driver's seat and the console to get those cards that fall down there when at the ATM

1         changeup - 8.jpg
Currently working on little jewelry/shaving stand boxes to duplicate the ones I made 30 years ago (sample in the back).

bainin

New User
bainin
David - with your incredible skill level, have you considered taking on a student to pass some of that knowledge on ? I've always found that rehasing a subject to make it comprehensible to a student gives a you fresh view and can reinvigorate your own interest.

b

Richo B

New User
Richo
I usually recover by enjoying one of my other hobbies. Gives me some time off. When inspiration strikes again I set up the workshop and get back to work.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
As others sai do something simple that you can knock out most of the construction in a day or to. Christmas is coming so maybe a gift for a wife, child or friend.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I cant help, but I would like to offer you a different perspective. One from a newbie point of view.
I had taught martial arts, boxing and kickboxing for over 20 years. I owned my own school and would work there after my 'real' job. The constant training and some old Army injuries led to bilateral hip replacement surgery at the young age of 40 and I had to retire from doing martial arts.

After sulking for a couple years, I realized that I needed something to do with my time. This was the first time in my adult life I only had one job. I had plenty of time in the evenings to do whatever I wanted. This led to blacksmithing and knifemaking. From there, I started some small woodworking projects and ended up getting a lathe and then an upgrade.

I am still at the point where that I am in overload at all the turning projects and other small projects that I want to try. Frankly, I'm fascinated at the idea that someone could be burned out, especially given the skill level and knowledge that I've seen from folks on this forum. I realize that as a newbie, many of my questions are simple and beyond that, I'm unable to offer anything of value to folks here and I'm happy to see that folks put up with my many questions and 'newbie' posts and engage me in them. I'm not berating anyone here, of course, for burn out. I would just like to offer that this craft is one that I see as with endless possibilities. I see folks making furniture such as yourself and I simply dont have the skills or knowledge to do these type projects. It's foreign to me to think that one could have the tools, skills, and supplies to create such works of art and then not use them. Perhaps I will live long enough to get there.

Maybe take on an apprentice? Perhaps their enthusiasm will inspire you to create. Maybe try another hobby which may integrate woodworking nicely. I used to keep saltwater aquariums and now after dabbling in woodworking, I would love to set up another aquarium and make a nice stand for it. ... a shadowbox for display knives, a hidden drawer piece of furniture for quick access to a pistol, etc, etc.

I guess my point is that the skills that you all have is a gift. Dont make it a job, realize your gift and expand your potential and enjoy.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS