Input on cordless impact drivers please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I'm getting ready to do some deck work and thinking about grabbing a cordless impact driver. I'd appreciate any hands on experience and recommendation for brand, voltage and exceptional deals. :mrgreen:

From the reviews Makita and DeWalt seem to have their typical following and most seem to settle on the 14.4V. Thoughts?

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Steve I bought the Makita 14.4 volt combo drill and impact driver. Man I didn't know what I was missing. If you buy one you will never pick the drill up to drive screws. I am converted, hope you have the same luck as me. The only thing I can complain about is you will have to get use to the noise they make. Here is what I bought, I ordered through Amazon. Right now you can get $25.00 off and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ASE2YM/qid=1144377538/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9048145-3501623?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Marty

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks Marty, that one is definitely on the radar screen. Do you have any experience with other brands for comparison purposes or did you choose this one based on reviews?

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Steve I read a review in a woodworking magazine (I am at work and can't go find the issue) that reviewed all the 14.4 volt impact drivers. The Makita wasn't rated the best but I think it tied for second. From all the shopping around I did, the deal from Amazon was the best deal I found. I have no regrets on my purchase and the fluorescent light is a nice bonus. I think any major company you buy will give you great service. I do think you will be pleased by purchasing an impact driver for driving screws. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

Marty

T

toolferone

I have a Dewalt 12v and a Hitachi 12v. The Hitachi is a little small (tighter corners) otherwise they preform about the same. I have sunk 3" lags with out predrilling. As far as which volt, if you already have a good cordless system then go with that as it give you more of the same batteries. I think the 18v is to big. That's what I did with my Dewalt. The Hitachi was just a offer to good to pass up.$80 at a pawn shop, 2 batteries, charger, & case all about brand new. (small gloat)

Impact drivers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I will never be with out one again!

foxtrails1

New User
Bob
Steve,
I bought the same Makita 14.4 package that Marty did. Used the impact driver to set and remove several hundred 1/4 inch Tapcon concrete anchors to form front stairs and basement floor forms for my new house recently. I also used the regular non-impact 14.4 drill for setting several anchors as a comparison. The impact drill was definately easier to use and a timesaver. The regular drill really tries to torque out of your hands when the driving gets tough but the impact just keeps on driving with little torque to your hands. This can be a real issue when you are on a ladder or in an awkward position. Also the impact very seldom breaks a screw or jumps off the screw head when driving or removing. For your information I predrilled the holes in the concrete with a Bosch rotary hammer drill before setting the Tapcons with the the impact drill but it still takes plenty of power to screw the Tapcons into the concrete holes.

I can't give you much in the way of a comparison to other brands but the NiMH batteries that come with the Makita seem to provide a lot of power and last for quite a while. The flourescent light that comes with the package is a great tool in itself and I use it so much now that I don't know how I got along without it before.

Bob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming. The Amazon deal looks pretty good with free shipping and $25 off.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Steve D said:
I'm getting ready to do some deck work and thinking about grabbing a cordless impact driver. I'd appreciate any hands on experience and recommendation for brand, voltage and exceptional deals. :mrgreen:

From the reviews Makita and DeWalt seem to have their typical following and most seem to settle on the 14.4V. Thoughts?

Get the 14.4V Makita and don't look back. :-D

HardRock

New User
Gil
I've used at least one cordless impact almost daily for the last 6 years. I 've owned the makita 9.6v 3/8 drive unit for 6 years . it has performed flawlessly and still has both original batteries working great. I use it daily building engines and working on race karts, several racing buddies have the newer 14.4v modles and they are every bit as nice with a little more power. On a typical race day or weekend, the 9.6 will get enough run time to change batteries once, litterally running off and on 100's of times 1/4" to 3/8" sized fasteners. My 9.6 model will tighten up 1/2-13 (3/4 sized) nuts on anchor bolts and pull them with washer clean through a fresh treated 2X4.

two years ago, I bought the 19?v harbour freight 3/8 drive impact on sale for 29.99. it works well but is larger and heavier. the socket detent isn't very good and older sockets tend to fall off. biggest drawn=back to the HF unit is that the battery charger isn't automatic, supposeddly can only leave batt on charge for 5 hours max....I just plugged it into a cheap timer and set it to 5 hours.

I also have two Dewalt 18v unit, 1/2" drive at work. they are beasts and come in two sizes. I have the largest one and the one under it. They are great for Substation work, but I would rather have the smaller makita for around the house stuff. the 18v dewalts will wring off 3/8" threaded fasteners if you are not carefull.

Home Depot did have a great deal on a Makita combo pack with impact, drill and light, 14.4v for like $229 several weeks back. I paid $185 for just the 9.6v impact 6 years ago.

For most use, I'd stick with the 3/8" drive units, the 1/2" drive ones are usually bigger abd overkill for most projects. I don't really care for the 1/4" hex drive quick couplers, but there are adapters for sq drive.

The ridgid and ryobi and hitachi units all look good also, If I was starting from scratch, I'd have to look real hard at the ridgid with the lifetime warranty.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
I got hooked on impact drivers using my friends Makita 14.4V. It virtually eliminated rounding out Philips screws. Being the cheap one, I got the Ryobi 18V. All my cordless tools are now the Ryobi 1+ system. It just makes economic sense. It is more powerful than the Makita, not that it matters at all with screws. It is powerful enough to pop a 5/16 grade 5 bolt. Haven't messed up on bigger bolts, though. Learned my lesson. I am sure that it isn't good on the driver to try and break big bolts.

bcbearcathunting

New User
Update your profile with your name
Before I bought an impact driver I checked the torque ratings of all the major brands, for everything from 9.6 V up to 14.4 V. I decided to go with the 12V DeWalt, simply because it had more torque than the other 12V models, cost less than most, and the torque wasn't enough to worry about ringing off the heads of the screws being driven.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
this curious mind wants to know what the operational difference is in using an 'impact' driver, versus the 'hammer drill' operation on my 18V deWalt??? Is that more for making holes?? rather than filling them with bits of steel??

(sorry, that says 'hammer drill' of course it's meant to make holes with.:eusa_doh: ) But in a pinch, could that be used to similar effect?

In the shop, the dW 18V has replaced my corded drill for making holes, tho' I am sure that when the deck gets rebuilt, both will be used quite regularly.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Impact drivers and hammer drills are not very interchangeable because a hammer drill will drive a screw or bolt like a nail, destroying threads as it goes. Conversely, the impact driver does not have that percussion action necessary to fracture hard materials ahead of the drill bit.

-Mark

T

toolferone

Mark is right. The hammer drill is pushing the bit in and out, and the impact is appling rotary impact. Does that help?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks to all for the input here, this will serve as a pre-gloat. I ordered the Makita Sunday and it shipped Monday. You just have to love projects that justify (and pay for) new tools.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors