Inlay tabletop finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Finally! My first inlay project other than just a small straight strip of contrasting wood. I learned I don't have the patience for this type work and its to hot for tedious work.

hummers_014.jpg

Inlay was cut from Walnut, cut on scroll saw as one piece and scribed onto the Maple with exacto knife and then chisel. Tried cutting the inset with a Dremmel tool using depth adjustment attachment. Found out my hands aren't steady enough for something with high RPM's. You can see where I ran outside the lines a few times.

Walnut frame glued on using biscuits. Finish is two coats Tung Oil, fine sandes between each coat, and three coats of rub on poly.

Glad that parts over. Now on to make the frame and legs.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Looks like you did a beautiful job on the inlay, Charles. love the contrasting wood. In your picture it's hard to see any "design changes":widea:. Don't be too hard on yourself:eusa_naug. Just be proud of your accomplishment. Keep up the great work:eusa_danc.

P.S. Don't forget to post the pics of the finished product:icon_thum.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think you did a wonderful job on the inlay and I love the contrasting woods.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Are you sure that's your first inlay? Don't quit now you are already lookin' like a pro!:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
That really came out nicely. I wouldn't give up on it because the end justifies the means in this case! Is the maple solid or veneer? Sounds like it is solid. You may want to try using veneer in your next project.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Ed, it's solid, 1" thick. I thought that would make it easier to chisel out the ends of the feathers, but it didn't help. I don't know, maybe the curly cross grain made it chip out more. Anyway, so much to learn, so little time!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks GREAT to me, Charles!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:icon_thum:icon_thum

That maple sure looks pretty with contrasting walnut. I can't wait to see the finished table.

Fine job.:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
The best professional furniture maker I know told me inlays are not meant to be viewed from 6 inches. Your work looks great. Do not be so critical of yourself.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Wow, that is beautiful. That is some very tedious work and you really did a great job on it. Looking forward to seeing the finished table.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Charles, I suggest that for your next project, you use the same wood for the inlay as the table. That way, mistakes will be very hard to spot :)

I think you did a fabulous job, it looks great and the design is wonderful. Very, very elegant.

DavidF

New User
David
Very, very nice Charles, It looks great, but I know how hard it is to not see the mistakes - give it three months and you'll see it for the great work it really is.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I doubt anyone but you will ever notice the mistakes. Most likely you will experience what I have with some of my inlay work...."How did you stain the wood in the middle a different color" :slap:

Looks great to me, I really like the design. Not an easy one for a first go-around :eek:

Dave:)

sawduster

New User
Robert
Very , very nice :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :notworthy:
When I do inlay with a scroll saw I cut both pieces of wood at one time but would never be able to do something that intricate using that method

Nice work !! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors