Infrared Gas or Blue Flame Gas for shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Had one of my neighbors stop by today and pose a question. He wants to run natural gas to his shop (17X24) one bay in a 3 car garage. Insulated and partitioned from the other two bays. He wants to know which would be the best gas heater to purchase. Infrared Gas or a Blue Flame gas heater. Or...maybe neither type. Any suggestions?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
By infrared gas I an assuming you are comparing the "orange flame" ceramic heating elements versus the "blue flame" ceramic heating elements. Both are typically open flame it is just whether or not the ceramic element is heated to glowing so as to add IR heating to the equation.

Both will provide convective heat, but if his shop is a largely open space then the infrared heater will "feel" warmer long before the shop actually warms up (at least with regard to whatever portion of your body us facing the IR heater). Either will introduce added moisture to the air, which us not necessarily a bad thing in the enter months, but something to be aware of. Each will need a reliably clear safety zone above, below, to the sides and in front of to avoid fire risk. Most importantly, neither is compatible with flammable vapors and can potentially ignite any such vapors if present in the garage. Partly for the reason they are typically installed a few feet above the floor to help reduce exposure to low lying (heavier than air) vapors. This includes spilled gasoline, spray propellants, oil-based finishes, etc.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Garages are assumed to house flammable vapors and the first 18" above the floor is considered a Class III location to be exclusive of sparks and arc producing appliances. In addition to this, one should consider airborne dust from wood working as a hazard to open flames. If considering an NG heater, look at an enclosed combustion chamber IR heater. They are used commercially in automobile garages - but with usually higher ceilings to work with than you may have.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have a Reznor propane unit in a 26 x 28 garage. It has a sealed combustion chamber/fan driven heat exchanger and vents through the roof. It is suspended from the ceiling on all thread rods.

No open flame, carbon dioxide/monoxide or water vapor in the work space.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've go an infrared heater in my shop. It's a wall mounted unit, and uses propane. Thing that is really nice is you can instantly feel the heat. Keep shop around 57degrees during cold months. Dog sleeps in shop during cold weather, and I store boxes of sweet potatoes in shop during winter. Go into shop, bump up heat. I need to get a thermostat to turn on air cleaner (for circulation) when heat is on. Have a small (12") fan to force heat down to floor level, which runs constantly.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I've go an infrared heater in my shop. It's a wall mounted unit, and uses propane

Do you have a model/make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors