Inexpensive picture frame

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Wife bought a frameless oil painting at an estate sale and it was on a non-standard sized home-made stretcher. A frame shop estimated ‘bout $300 for a custom frame which was too much for us.

I made a frame from a 7’ stick of brick mould and she ”gilded” it with Rub & Buff. There is a clamp dent but she is happy.
D037CAB6-8EA3-4452-8444-8278C3E3652D.jpeg

9DEF8FC9-F7F4-4050-B7D1-714F4A9DC0AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Nice, smart work...looks good. I don't know if the finish will hold up, but clamp dents frequently can be steamed out. Wet the dent, lay a wet rag on top of the dent, and iron the rag dry with an ordinary laundry iron set on high. The moisture penetrates the wood and swells under heat, popping out the dent. Might be a good idea to test this on a scrap that you put the Rub 'n Buff on before you go after the frame.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Nice, smart work...looks good. I don't know if the finish will hold up, but clamp dents frequently can be steamed out. Wet the dent, lay a wet rag on top of the dent, and iron the rag dry with an ordinary laundry iron set on high. The moisture penetrates the wood and swells under heat, popping out the dent. Might be a good idea to test this on a scrap that you put the Rub 'n Buff on before you go after the frame.
I tried steaming but the brick mould was primed which reduced the effectiveness.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I made the rabbet/rebate in the back using box joint cutter blades. I find that I use these blades much more often than my dado set. The cut is cleaner and the setup much faster. Others here use these blades similarly.

I have a 1/4” + 3/8” set and one blade makes a nice groove for a so-called 1/4” plywood drawer bottom.

Before I get out the dado blade, I make sure there isn’t a way to make the cut with the box joint blade(s).

For those of you just getting started, I would recommend considering buying a box joint set before buying a dado blade set.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS