Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Not sure if this is the right forum, but perhaps it will be a start.

I just received an Incra Jig and Incra Gage.

These are both the old grey ones. Anyone have and love these that would share some ideas on how to get the most out of them? It did not come with any templates or anything else, but looks like it came with all the screws and a few page manual describing how to attach it to a hold down, and make a fence for it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Abs:
I just bought the Precision Positiioning jig from a NCWW member (or was it Craigslist? I forget) a month or two ago. Mine, like yours, is the grey version. It seems like all the manuals came with it - so while I am not a user really (yet), I have browsed through the manuals. If you need info from these, I'd be happy to help.

It seems like the positioning jig is primarily aimed at router fence applications. They have box joint, dovetail, and double dovetail templates in there (I seem to have most or many of the templates).

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Abs:
I just bought the Precision Positiioning jig from a NCWW member (or was it Craigslist? I forget) a month or two ago. Mine, like yours, is the grey version. It seems like all the manuals came with it - so while I am not a user really (yet), I have browsed through the manuals. If you need info from these, I'd be happy to help.

It seems like the positioning jig is primarily aimed at router fence applications. They have box joint, dovetail, and double dovetail templates in there (I seem to have most or many of the templates).

I think I have the manual. It is about 24 pages long. There is also another 1 sheet that shows how to build some other piece. I got no templates at all, how many templates do you have? Do you think they would they be scanable / printable?

Hopefully, I will put together the "base" and a fence of sorts and possibly the right angle feature.

I wouldn't mind comparing notes as we go on this :)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I think I have the manual. It is about 24 pages long. There is also another 1 sheet that shows how to build some other piece. I got no templates at all, how many templates do you have? Do you think they would they be scanable / printable?

Hopefully, I will put together the "base" and a fence of sorts and possibly the right angle feature.

I wouldn't mind comparing notes as we go on this :)

I expect with decent resolution that templates would be scannable/printable. Mine also included the fence and a right angle thingy - so I ought to be able to get pics of how that attaches.

I thought I might be able to use this Incra jig to make grooves (dado type) cuts for the 3D puzzles that I have become interested in making. I now doubt that the 1/32" increments of this Incra are enough to get me the precision I need (no micropositioner or adjustments as far as I can tell).

Yes happy to compare notes as we move ahead.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
I expect with decent resolution that templates would be scannable/printable. Mine also included the fence and a right angle thingy - so I ought to be able to get pics of how that attaches.

I thought I might be able to use this Incra jig to make grooves (dado type) cuts for the 3D puzzles that I have become interested in making. I now doubt that the 1/32" increments of this Incra are enough to get me the precision I need (no micropositioner or adjustments as far as I can tell).

Yes happy to compare notes as we move ahead.

Sounds like you got a better deal than I did :) Time to start looking for a fence, or building one :)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Mark, that's helpful.
I initial wrote a response saying that this was the original Incra jig and that the manual was not there. But then I looked a little closer and saw that it was - wow. Incra has been through a few generations of product, but the original manuals are still available.

Thanks

Absinthe

New User
Abs
That fence system looks pretty simple looks like a reason to invest in a t-track router bit. I am not sure why the right angle thingie is so over engineered but the one question I see is, does it just ride along the fence or does it use the t-slot to slide?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Abs
I have the original fence - machined Al presumably, but without the gold color (i.e. no anodized layer).
I believe the right angle piece runs along T-slots, not just abutting the fence.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The original fence, near as I can tell is machined out of melamine MDF.

Well miine is certainly not MDF; I must have a 2nd or 3rd Gen fence (my terms, not Incra's). Mine is Al and has a variety of T slots machined along the length, and has slots or holes to bolt on the positioner.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Well miine is certainly not MDF; I must have a 2nd or 3rd Gen fence (my terms, not Incra's). Mine is Al and has a variety of T slots machined along the length, and has slots or holes to bolt on the positioner.
If I can find a bit for it I think I can. Make one like the original. I am not sure I would have as much luck doing it in AL

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Agreed - making one in AL (Alabama?:D) or Al (aluminum) would be more difficult!
I can take measurements of mine if you need some for template reasons - although only the interface to the positioner would be critical.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Agreed - making one in AL (Alabama?:D) or Al (aluminum) would be more difficult!
I can take measurements of mine if you need some for template reasons - although only the interface to the positioner would be critical.

I've never tried to make anything in Alabama. :)

If the right angle thing rides in the slot that would be important. Otherwise I think the t-slot is only for affixing stops. I have never seen anything before that actually rides in the t-slot mounted vertically. Not that I have seen all that much anyway. The documentation has instructions for the fence. Perhaps I will make that first, and see if I can actually use the thing to make a joint. Then, perhaps I will try to make a prettier fence with some bells and whistles. Although, I wonder if it won't somehow connect to my Kreg fence or even my table saw fence. Both have t-slots all over them...

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If the right angle thing rides in the slot that would be important. Otherwise I think the t-slot is only for affixing stops. I have never seen anything before that actually rides in the t-slot mounted vertically. .

I will try to post a few pics later this week - if I can remember to!! I am basing my comments on my recollection - and that is highly questionable these days. Pics should clarify.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
So can someone with the actual template just clarify a few measurements for me? I am assuming that on the box joint the first line is 1/2 the thickness of the joint? and each following line is the full width away? I assume the dovetail is similarly spaced but with a different starting point?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Abs
I will try to look at my templates tonight.
But if you look at the last page of the manual (Mark linked above in this thread), there is one box joint and one dovetail template in there. You might be able to answer your questions just looking at them.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Abs
I will try to look at my templates tonight.
But if you look at the last page of the manual (Mark linked above in this thread), there is one box joint and one dovetail template in there. You might be able to answer your questions just looking at them.

The fine folks from Incra will be sending me out 2 templates for free. So I should have something to work with. The master template book is online for free as a pdf, though I question the legality of what I saw. I also came across a python version of a program that should be able to generate them for me, though I will have to do the source work to get it working in GNU/Linux.

The program is available here: http://lowrie.github.io/pyRouterJig/installation/
If/when I get it converted over, I will let you know. Otherwise you should be ok if you have Windows or Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors