INCRA TS-LS table saw fence... Should I?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Several shop tips over last few years on micro adjusters for fences. Get the Wixey, and add micro adjuster for accuracy.
I wonder how this is, compared to a Wixey.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Forgot to ask...

Do you have the 52" range or 32", of the INCRA fence?
I have the 36" range on my SS, and I'll be looking at the 32" on the INCRA... Not sure if the 4" will be missed\needed, or what.. I don't cut down full sheets of ply. I use my track saw for that.

Thanks again
I have the 32” and like you, use a track saw for wider cuts

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you enjoy the setup.

I don't currently have any table saw jigs, so that is fine for me. Besides, it gives me an excuse to make more sawdust :D

Also... what did you do with your SawStop rails & fence? Did you sell\keep it? Sell it and recoup a decent amount of coin?

Thanks again
I kept it for a while, then I think I sold the metal scrap. Don’t remember. there may be a market for the original rails and fence- not sure. Good luck either way!

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Interesting thread. I too have been eyeing the Incra systems. I'm convinced on the router table fence, but not the table saw. Haven't pulled the trigger yet on either, but the router version will be in my shop in 2023 if things go right. Like you I am looking for repeatability. Great precision is great in theory but, once wood moves, I'm not so sure it is really relevant. That's a discussion for a different thread. All this to say... have you seen/considered the Woodpecker Rip-Flip? Looks like an intersteing alternative to the Incra and, bonus, you don't have to modify your SawStop and can keep the original fence. Again, haven't pulled the trigger, but looks like a better option for me. I'll keep watching this discussion as I make up my mind.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I would never use one simply b/c it occupies all the real estate of the extension table. Not gonna work in my world.....eventually it's going to get bent.

Exactness is relative. Consistency is oftem more important than cutting to an exact measurement.

If I were spending that kind of money I would go with the Woodpecker fence or that digital readout @ConwayCustoms mentioned!!

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Interesting thread. I too have been eyeing the Incra systems. I'm convinced on the router table fence, but not the table saw. Haven't pulled the trigger yet on either, but the router version will be in my shop in 2023 if things go right. Like you I am looking for repeatability. Great precision is great in theory but, once wood moves, I'm not so sure it is really relevant. That's a discussion for a different thread. All this to say... have you seen/considered the Woodpecker Rip-Flip? Looks like an intersteing alternative to the Incra and, bonus, you don't have to modify your SawStop and can keep the original fence. Again, haven't pulled the trigger, but looks like a better option for me. I'll keep watching this discussion as I make up my mind.
Repeatability, with precision, is what I am "chasing"... I mean, looking for. You are right, though, regarding the wood movement.

Besides precision and accurate repeatable rips, micro adjusting in on dados or rabbets might be another area where the Incra TS-LS shines. In theory, this is all lovely to have, etc., but in application... well.

This sure is quite the challenge, decision to buy or not. 🤔

SawStop, brake trigger, metal fence, need to be careful or have plenty of brakes on hand, add a sacrificial fence, the list goes on.

DRO... Woodpecker flip-stop, parallel guide system that you can also use for crosscuts, or tap tap tap and use the $$ for wood or another tool.

Regarding the Woodpecker rip-flip: Yes, I have seen their product, but when I researched it, quite awhile ago.... I wasn't sold on it (at that price, might as well spend a few extra bucks and get the Incra, was my thinking). Overall, I've probably spent too many hours researching this topic over the years, maybe 40+ hours? 😞 I started researching the Incra, almost, 3 years ago.

After reading all of these replies, especially the last few, I have started looking (again) at the TSO parallel guide system. With his system, I do not have to take up the entire right side of my table saw, and I would not have a large arm sticking out 30" to the right of my table insert (when doing max 32" rips).

1677774711678.png

Currently, I am stuck. What to do, where to put my hard earned money...?

1. Do I save a few bucks, and keep using my stock SS fence, and just get the TSO parallel guide system for precision and "repeatable" larger cross cuts?
  2. Do I get the Incra fence and TSO parallel guide system?
  3. Do I just say forget it, keep using my SS fence, and move on?

Sorry for the headache.. and as usual, thank you for taking the time to read my posts and replying with your thoughts\input.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I also have parallel guides for the track saw and I think they are a good investment particularly for cabinet cuts. Woodworkers get by making extraordinary pieces without any of this, so some of these discussions pertain to pleasure and convenience. The incra ts/ls offers fast, mechanically calibrated precision and repeatability for thin or wide cuts. Say you realize that you need to recut a piece later? It will be exactly the same without effort (where exact means that you can’t tell the difference in width by eye or feel). I enjoy those aspects that the fence offers to my workflow but not everyone wants, needs, or benefits from the Incra. Obviously, everybody on this forum with a table saw has a process to repeat matching cuts separated by time without the Incra.

As to the arm of the Incra sticking out when making full width cuts, I just have it out for the cut (s) and return the fence close to the blade when I’m done. I don’t have reason to leave it extended when not using the saw. Most of my cuts are hardwood, which are usually 12 inches or less anyway. After about 10 years of use, I haven’t had trouble with the fence arm getting bent. The fence arm and mount are substantial in many ways which I won’t detail here.

I think starting with parallel guides sounds like a good idea. Take the time to get acclimated to and facile in their use. That’ll give you more time to figure out if you want to stay stock on the fence, add a wixey, or Incra, or other.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I also have parallel guides for the track saw and I think they are a good investment particularly for cabinet cuts. Woodworkers get by making extraordinary pieces without any of this, so some of these discussions pertain to pleasure and convenience. The incra ts/ls offers fast, mechanically calibrated precision and repeatability for thin or wide cuts. Say you realize that you need to recut a piece later? It will be exactly the same without effort (where exact means that you can’t tell the difference in width by eye or feel). I enjoy those aspects that the fence offers to my workflow but not everyone wants, needs, or benefits from the Incra. Obviously, everybody on this forum with a table saw has a process to repeat matching cuts separated by time without the Incra.

As to the arm of the Incra sticking out when making full width cuts, I just have it out for the cut (s) and return the fence close to the blade when I’m done. I don’t have reason to leave it extended when not using the saw. Most of my cuts are hardwood, which are usually 12 inches or less anyway. After about 10 years of use, I haven’t had trouble with the fence arm getting bent. The fence arm and mount are substantial in many ways which I won’t detail here.

I think starting with parallel guides sounds like a good idea. Take the time to get acclimated to and facile in their use. That’ll give you more time to figure out if you want to stay stock on the fence, add a wixey, or Incra, or other.
Well said.

Currently, most of my time is dedicated to working my M-F, "9-5," so my time in the shop is limited.

To me, I'd rather spend more time cutting and making vs measuring twice.

I once left my SS fence, hobering over a cast iron table insert for 24-48 hours (went out of town). When I came back, and moved the fence to make a cut, I saw some minor surface rust on the table insert. As you mentioned above, you tend to leave your Incra fence near the blade, so the arm isn't sticking out all of the time. In doing this, does surface rust happen, like how it did with my SS fence?

Thanks again.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Well said.

Currently, most of my time is dedicated to working my M-F, "9-5," so my time in the shop is limited.

To me, I'd rather spend more time cutting and making vs measuring twice.

I once left my SS fence, hobering over a cast iron table insert for 24-48 hours (went out of town). When I came back, and moved the fence to make a cut, I saw some minor surface rust on the table insert. As you mentioned above, you tend to leave your Incra fence near the blade, so the arm isn't sticking out all of the time. In doing this, does surface rust happen, like how it did with my SS fence?

Thanks again.
Haven’t experienced rust on the table where the fence rested. There is an air gap between the fence and the table.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS