INCRA LS 17 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Business is picking up for me, which is really nice and I am in the market for something that can help me with box joints and dovetail joints. I am new to those joints, and don't really like building homemade jigs so the INCRA LS 17 System caught my eye after reading and watching the INCRA Ibox system on youtube. I wanted to know if anybody had any insight into these systems, how effective they are, ease of use and overall opinion.

Thank you for your help.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you speak with NCWW member "Alan in Little Washington" he can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about the iBox system as he was the inventor and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions. If you use the site's "Search" feature (the textbox on the far right-hand side of the top menu bar) and search on "iBox" then you should turn up a number of past threads on this system.

I have no information on the other system you mentioned and I have not personally used either system.

Happy to hear that business is picking up for you, that's the sort of news we really enjoy hearing!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Neither system is designed for factory production use, but both do a really nice job. Both were designed in the USA and are precision manufactured in the USA by INCRA (the I-BOX is based on my original licensed design). The differences are:

The I-BOX is a dedicated box joint jig that can only be used to make box joints on a table saw (with dado blades) or a router table. It also allows you to make specialty box joints that are very hard or impossible to make with other jigs and methods. I think I can safely say, that it is the best box joint jig on the market and exceeds the capabilities of all DIY box joint jigs, including Lynn's and Mathias Wandel's leadscrew-based jigs.

The LS is a precision, indexing fence system that can be used as router table fence or tablesaw rip fence. It can also be used to make box joints on both, and dovetails on a router table using a right angle fixture that rides along the fence. The board width capacity of the LS is limited while the capacity of the I-BOX is essentially unlimited.

The I-BOX is easier to set and use to make box joints, however. You stack the dado and quickly set the jig. It doesn't matter if the dado is not a precise fractional width- many dado blades aren't- since you set the I-BOX to actual kerf made by the dado. With the LS, you select the size joint you want then carefully shim the dado until it makes a kerf that is precisely a multiple of 1/32".

I have both, but due to ease and speed of setup and operation, I only use the I-BOX to make box joints.

If you plan to make a lot of small decorative boxes, vary the finger size, and might want to use some unique looking box joints- get an I-BOX. On the other hand if you will only make a few boxes a year- get an I-BOX.

Last edited:

kclark

New User
Kevin
I am by no means a production shop, but I LOVE the LS system. I bought the 25" from Rick at The Woodworking Source. Was only about $30 more than the 17" at the time that I bought it. I have since added the wonder fence which is another great addition. I prefer dovetails versus square box joints. But the LS system is more than that especially with the wonder fence. You can easily joint smaller material on the router table fast and easy. Setup repeatable cuts again fast and easy. But Alan would be the better person to listen to in this case especially since I haven't used the I-box. Either way, if it says incra on it, you can't go wrong. I became a believer.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
For the dovetail rig, I have used a Leigh jig acouple of times. I have not been more impressed with any other options to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors