Incra Box Jig Question

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Alan,
I think the threads may be okay, Mark is sending a new micro knob.
Incra is a fine company to deal with, high marks for customer service.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I hope that solves the problem. It really is a super jig.

One of the few suggestions I made after the iBox hit the market was different blade/dust guards. I made a set of one-piece rectangular plexiglass tunnels that attached the same way as the MDF guards. I mounted a dust port on the top of the rear one. It works really well.

Let us know how the new knob works out.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
One of the few suggestions I made after the iBox hit the market was different blade/dust guards. I made a set of one-piece rectangular plexiglass tunnels that attached the same way as the MDF guards. I mounted a dust port on the top of the rear one. It works really well.

I would like to see some pictures of the dust collection ports you made, that is the one thing about this jig that I don't like. It's a minor thing really, but I'd like to do something there on mine. It really is a super jig, I've made thousands of box joints with it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
(Bending plexiglass or lexan isn't as easy as it might seem.)

Here is the simplest way to add dust collection to an IBOX.

I'm not positive, but believe I may have used the flange and a right angle fitting that mounts to the end of an INCRA router table Wonder fence. You can see I enlarged the opening in the MDF guard and just attached the fitting flange with small wood screws. I quickly discovered I needed to angle the fitting to the right (or left) because if I ran the flex hose straight back towards me, the coils would catch on the table edge when I pushed the jig forward.

index.php

index.php

Wonder fence flange and right angle fitting? Other flanges and right angle fittings should work just as well. You could even enlarge the hole in the guard to match the O.D. of the right angle fitting for a friction fit..

incra_rtf_wf37_mainpic_zoom__22133.1304450264.1280.1280.jpg

Photos and Sketches of miscellaneous plexiglass/lexan guards:

I used a prototype IBOX so you may notice some differences in what you have- different stock ledge, mechanism lock, silver adjust knob, micro knob, etc. and a few extra holes. :rolleyes:

index.php

index.php

index.php

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Strange thing, watching the instruction video there is very little dust. But hey! Thats just television right?

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Strange thing, watching the instruction video there is very little dust. But hey! Thats just television right?
I have a router table with a downdraft dust collection system, and it does about like the video, very little dust. I have a different table that I use the jig on frequently and it doesn't have a collection system. I asked for pictures of the attachments because I wanted the other way to collect dust, and they look like they'll work really well, need to try them out. If you don't have anything, you'll get a pile of chips in a hurry. :) I felt the same way about the video when I first started using the jig.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
With my Craftsman contractor style table saw I get dust and chips everywhere. And yes I have a 4-inch vacuum hose mounted to the bottom and the motor/belt area enclosed to help with the dust, nope doesn't work very well. But that saw is dedicated to the IBox jig, so not gonna move it to my cabinet saw. Most of the dust comes from the motor side of the saw blade, which I have always wondered why there is so much with the amount of suction I have on the machine. I will have to google that and see what others have done to improve the dust removal.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
A table saw zero clearance blade insert will really reduce below table suction to the point it just isn't effective.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
A table saw zero clearance blade insert will really reduce below table suction to the point it just isn't effective.
I posted a picture of my saw in an earlier thread, it is not a zero clearance. I will just have to keep experimenting on it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS