In-swing door? Like on a barrister bookcase

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have installed a 'built in' shelving unit, and now want to install a door on the lower shelf. Seems to me like the best choice is what I would call an in-swing door (upswing?), like that on a barrister's bookcase. This is an inset door, but it is not hinged; the top of the door slides to the back of the cabinet while the door is lifted. That's the best description I can come up with.
What I am wondering is what hardware is used for this application.
- Is this simply a pin running in a track, and if so how does one prevent racking or twisting the door enough for a pin to come out of the track?
- Or is there more sophisticated hardware available?

Never used or even looked at one, Anyone have one they can examine? Please advise.

Thanks

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Henry,

Are you referring to something like in the picture below?

1581106308935.png

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Also called flipper door for vertical application. Rockler has plenty of choices.
Yes, thank you. One of the first challenges in a project like this is knowing the right terminology. Hard to search well if you don't know the terms to use.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Having been through a bit more searching, including VanDykes (where the listed instructions were simply a parts diagram...), I searched the term 'flipper door' on Lee Valley (another great source of hardware). Calling them (that is LV) I was provided answers all my questions and I am likely going to implement their Concealed Door slides, with a set of soft close Blum hinges (as suggested by customer service). Total hardware costs are about $35 plus whatever shipping costs, which is more than the least expensive option, but significantly less than the bigger package deal at VanDykes.
- LV Concealed Door slides: Concealed Door Slides - Lee Valley Tools
- the associated hinges also needed: Blum Self-Closing Clip-Top Soft-Close Hinges - Lee Valley Tools
The reason that LV customer service suggested these specific hinges is that rather than mounting the hinge base directly to the cabinet, these hinges have a mounting plate that is first installed and then the hinges are slid onto these plates. This eases the hinge installation, and that was a concern; I will have my head inside a cabinet and the rest of me inside a too small bathroom, and will be installing top mount hinges. Ease of installation will make a difference here, even though this is a one-off.

I have not yet determined the final dimensions of the already installed built-in cabinet (opening for inset door and depth of cabinet), but will update this thread when I manage to finish this project.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS