In search of ~24" diameter cross section of hardwood

eyekode

New User
Salem
Where did you get the first one about 4" thick?

Call Scott Smith in New Hope

My friend had it in is garage from a yard tree. He wasn't even sure where he got it from. I put it in my garage and stubbed my toe on it for a few years until I finally had the idea for the table :).

Red oak would look great I am sure! I know Scott focuses on the really big ones. But I'll drop him a pm.
Salem

allisnut

New User
Adam
Not to steal the thread, but I have an a friend in Shelby who thinks he wants to make a similar slab / cookie table. He has a block from a 55-60" oak tree, but doesn't have the equipment. Is there anyone in this end of NC who would want to tackle a project like that? I'll pass your contact info on to Joe is so.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Not to steal the thread, but I have an a friend in Shelby who thinks he wants to make a similar slab / cookie table. He has a block from a 55-60" oak tree, but doesn't have the equipment. Is there anyone in this end of NC who would want to tackle a project like that? I'll pass your contact info on to Joe is so.

I am not sure any equipment exists that would help with this short of a huge bed cnc. But it is very doable with a router sled regardless of size. And you can make your own with very few tools required. That is how I built my table.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
I never weighed my slab. It is about 24" diameter and finished thickness is 4".
If I did my calculation right that is 12.5 bdft.

In red oak that would be 47lb.

Sounds about right.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
When Phil and I visited West Penn Hardwoods last month, they had LOTS of cookies, probably 50 or more of all sizes and species.

eyekode

New User
Salem
When Phil and I visited West Penn Hardwoods last month, they had LOTS of cookies, probably 50 or more of all sizes and species.

Wow that is a ton! But it looks like they are 2:30 or so from Apex NC :(. But if I get out that way I will be sure to check them out.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS