In Need of ~20 gallons of Pine (not Treated) Sawdust in the Charlotte Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Anybody doing a SYP project? I'm growing some Blueberry seedlings and need get a bed prepped. Thanks!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Jordon Lumber Company would be my first choice. Call them and see if they have "pine saw dust" available. Lynches Saw mill in New Hill (near Scott Smith) is another option. Scott may also have some. If Scott has some, I could bring it to hand saw sharpening workshop, and maybe Raymond could get it closer to you.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If that doesn't work out, you could buy packages of horse bedding from someplace like Tractor Supply or the local Farm & Garden store. Not free, but not that expensive either. It will be courser than sawdust, mainly chips, but should work fine for a garden bed to hold extra moisture.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Pine provides the acidity over many years. Best blueberries I grew were in a garden where we took down several pines and had them grind the tree and stumps in place.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've had 8 rabbit eye blueberry plants for about 15 years in a raised bed and have used sulfur flakes or azalea/camellia fertilizer (good for acid loving plants) on occasion to make sure that the soil pH was on the acid side. Don't fret a lot about the soil pH or the growing medium for seedlings! :eusa_doh:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the offers and pointers on blueberries! I found a supply of fresh sawdust. Here's my situation:
I have a few 2 year old seedlings that should have been put into the ground in the late winter/spring but other things got in the way. These seedlings fell into my lap and were totally unplanned for. I've been watering them and keeping them in in half shade and for now they're happy. I'm prepping a small bed for their permanent home.

I plan to use Peat Moss but more for its help with adding lots of organic material to open up my brown clay. While peat moss is acidic, it is quickly buffered by our soil within a month. It's pH lowering effect is longer in sandy soils but not by much. Pine sawdust is much more acidic, longer acting and does a better job as a mulch around the bush over the long term. Before you warn me about how it steals Nitrogen from the soil, it doesn't any more than any other mulch as long as you leave it on the surface. I will however be mixing pine sawdust, compost and peat moss into the top 6" in a ~4ft diameter to add organic material to improve drainage and to start adjusting the pH. Any NPK deficit and additional pH correction in the soil will happen before the plants go into it in the late winter. After planting I'll be leaving a thick mulch of it on top of the surface.
Thanks again!

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
You might check into some tree companies, they dispose of some trees by shedding. Rather than dumping, they might help you out for helping them out. Saving dump fees is always good. Got about 200 yards from truckloads of dirt that way.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Increasing N fertility and lowering soil pH can be accomplished simultaneously by using an ammonium-based fertilizer. Like you said, sawdust can sponge N but then releases it slowly as decomposition progresses, so it's a pretty ideal amendment if you're not opposed to using chemical N fertilizers.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Increasing N fertility and lowering soil pH can be accomplished simultaneously by using an ammonium-based fertilizer. Like you said, sawdust can sponge N but then releases it slowly as decomposition progresses, so it's a pretty ideal amendment if you're not opposed to using chemical N fertilizers.
That's the plan!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
You might check into some tree companies, they dispose of some trees by shedding. Rather than dumping, they might help you out for helping them out. Saving dump fees is always good. Got about 200 yards from truckloads of dirt that way.
I registered with http://www.getchipdrop.com but have 2 loads of chips from my property and a neighbor's. I also use them as a mulch on my planting beds and around the trees in my lawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS