Important Update - Wounded Warrior/Child Outreach Event on Saturday September 19th - Raleigh Klingsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
We will have another Wounded Warrior Outreach Event on Saturday September 19th at the Raleigh Klingspor's. This will be an new style event for us, as it will be Wounded Warriors plus their children. We have done Wounded Warriors & Children separately before, but never the combination. The event will run from 10 am to 3 pm. We will need around 8 volunteers to handle the event and volunteers would need to be there from 9 am to 4 pm to include setup and break down.

We are also looking any new projects that can be completed in approximately 4 hours. Let us know if you have any ideas.

Edited by Phil:
Due to a scheduling conflict our student group has changed but not the event. We have a youth group coming next Saturday instead of the Wounded Warriors. I had promised the youth group some time ago but never had it firmed up or so I thought. So I arranged the Wounded Warrior event and suddenly realized we were overbooked. For the best as the Wounded Warrior Project was late in getting the announcement out and participation might have been
questionable - we are attempting to reschedule to late fall.

Our youth group is 8 to 12 year olds in the morning and teens in the afternoon. I will have a dozen or so gumball kits to try out and our standard projects. If you cannot help all day just sign up for the morning or afternoon shifts.

See you there

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Re: Wounded Warrior/Child Outreach Event on Saturday September 19th - Raleigh Klingspor's

I'm available for that day so I'll plan to be there! This is a great event with rewarding purpose. Don't "think about it"...SIGN UP and be there!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Re: Wounded Warrior/Child Outreach Event on Saturday September 19th - Raleigh Klingspor's

I will be there. We do not have very many light saber blanks made up. We will need to do something else for the children on the lathe. I will try to get more made up. We will also need a ton for October

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

This event conflicts with the MW-TCA event at Ed Hobbs farm which I always try to attend. I wish I could participate as this is a very worthwhile event and what our Outreach program is all about. It is an unfortunate scheduling conflict.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

there should be over a hundred blanks....have to find them.....I think there at Phils

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

OK we have 3 of us. That leaves us 5 more. Come on folks...this will be a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

NCWW Outreach started with the Wounded Warrior Program holding events first at Fort Bragg and then throughout the state. We next spread our wings some and did events with youth groups.
Knowing that many of our Wounded Warriors have children, we offered to have an event were the Warriors and their children can learn together.
The return call came quickly - it was Jason. A Warrior I remembered from our first events. Jason now works for the Wounded Warrior Project and remembered how much our event meant to him.
Jason was eager to setup another event and is looking forward to many more.
He is busy getting everything lined up with the Warriors.
Now we need to get all our ducks in a row. We need more volunteers, more supplies and new project ideas.

Here are a few photos from those prior events:
000_0016.JPG

000_0011.JPG

DSC040451.JPG

DSC04190.JPG

IMG_03813.jpg

This is going to be so much fun - do not miss this

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member

PUt me down as a tentative, I won't know for sure until after the 8th of SEP - Work schedule for SEP won't be released until the 7th but I won't get to see it until the 8th.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member

All right people.... LOOK at your calendar...TODAY! Sign up for this amazingly gratifying event! What are you planning to do on the 19th? Sit in front of your Cable TV and watch some football game? NO...NO...NO!

Come to Klingspor and make some sawdust with some wounded warriors and their children! Help to inspire some young person to learn to work with wood. There will be more opportunities, but we need to make a BIG splash on this day. Let's hear it...who else wants to teach someone about woodworking? Oh, you're not a teacher you say....well, neither am I! I'm not even a very good turner, but heck, I can't stand to let others do this without my support and help. What's the problem???

Who's in????

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

All right people.... LOOK at your calendar...TODAY! Sign up for this amazingly gratifying event! What are you planning to do on the 19th? Sit in front of your Cable TV and watch some football game? NO...NO...NO!

Come to Klingspor and make some sawdust with some wounded warriors and their children! Help to inspire some young person to learn to work with wood. There will be more opportunities, but we need to make a BIG splash on this day. Let's hear it...who else wants to teach someone about woodworking? Oh, you're not a teacher you say....well, neither am I! I'm not even a very good turner, but heck, I can't stand to let others do this without my support and help. What's the problem???

Who's in????

Thanks Mike, This event will be so rewarding for everybody. The Wounded Warrior Project does so much good and the warriors deserve all and more. We have gained their respect and I do not want to let them down - I promised them this event will be so good that the warriors will be talking about it for months and asking for more.
Thanks to all that have already signed up and I thank those that will sign up soon - very soon.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member

I think I can make it but won't be sure until that week.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

I just checked the calendar. My wife is running a 12 hour relay race that day (7am - 7pm), so I will be on kid duty. This event should be a lot of fun.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Howdy folks. we have only 2 weeks until we get back into the Wounded Warrior Project. We have a Warrior /Child team event coming on the 19th of Sept in Raleigh. So far we have 3 confirmed volunteers and 3 maybes. Folks this will be a great event and take you home with a smile on your face that you helped someone that truly adores it. Folks if your thinking about trying to volunteer but havent yet come on out. We will be there to show you the ropes. Lets not let down the Wounded Warriors. Hope to hear from some of you real soon

JGregJ

Greg
User

I'm new to nc woodworkers, never taught anyone woodworking, but willing to lend a hand and looking forward to meeting some of you in person. Sign me up!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member

I am sorry to say that I will not be able to attend as I hoped.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member

Confirming that I will be able to make it. Hope we have enough volunteers to do this!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member

Great John! Thanks for helping out! We'll do the best we can with whoever shows up.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I've changed my plans and will be able to help out at Klingspor. Decided not to go to MWTCA this year - would only spend money if I did.

Anybody want to meet an hour before setup time at IHOP next door for breakfast and coffee.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

You guys and gals make us a proud - GO TEAM ! Wished I could volunteer but kind of far away for me.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Bump for update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS