Imagine my Horror!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Well I just spent the last 3-4 weeks in my spare time building a very large wall oven kitchen cabinet. I was getting ready to put the finishing touches on it when I realized the oven wouldnt fit in it!. A last minute change I made never made it to the drawing I had….:eek:. One of the rails was 4" too high. It was also backed up with a dadoed to the side shelf. Well, I was almost sick when I had use my sawzall to cut it apart and fix it. Beaded openings on the faceframe didnt help matters much. Much hacking and chiseling later, I think I have it right again, although I will need some wood filler, thankfully its a painted cabinet. Live and learn. I thought I had verified it all before assembly, but I probably simply made the same mistake again. the first picture is the before picture 2015-03-22 15.45.24.jpg2015-03-22 16.28.32.jpg2015-03-22 16.58.18.jpg Glad I hadnt assembled the yet either.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris, I think the next monthly contest is "best screwup" so you might just have created a winning project here. But maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. Good save at any rate. That is what makes the difference.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Like i said, thankfully I hadnt glued up the door pieces yet or glued the back on!. I think I wouldve shot myself had I completely finished it and tried to install the oven before finding out. Either way, I dare say it probably was my biggest screwup to date.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Sorry you hit a minor bump in the road, Chris. Looks like you have it squared away and the road ahead will hopefully be smooth sailing.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Chris its good to know that Im not the only one thats done something like that....Good thing you caught it early

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
We all make mistakes. The ability to fix our mistakes and salvage a perfectly good project is where the real talent comes in. And may God bless whoever invented the Sawzall. :icon_cheers

Ken, I think the next contest should be "Best Saves", w/ entries required to show before and after pics. :gar-Bi

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our events Director Phil is choosing the monthly contest topics. I'm just an observer, but I expect he's listening. Hope I didn't get this one wrong - memory isn't what it used to be.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nice save Chris and it won't be noticeable so you're good to go. Carry on and don't look back. :eusa_danc

It happens to many of us so welcome to the club.

OMG, I measured twice and cut once but it doesn't fit. I screwed up big time! Hmmm? Aha, I've only screwed up if I can't find a way to fix it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice save Chris and it won't be noticeable so you're good to go. Carry on and don't look back. :eusa_danc

It happens to many of us so welcome to the club.

OMG, I measured twice and cut once but it doesn't fit. I screwed up big time! Hmmm? Aha, I've only screwed up if I can't find a way to fix it.
Nice save... I usually measure twice cut once and its to short, so I cut it again and it's still to short - go figure...

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
My grandfather always said "the difference between a good carpenter and a great carpenter is how well you can hide your mistakes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS