I'm Tryin' Awful Hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. Here is my very first attempt at building a box!!:roll: :roll: I can see that it takes a lot of practice to meet the perfection that I have seen around here lately.

My little DowelMax jig looked a little forlorn tucked away in the original shipping box, so I decided to build it a new home with some leftover poplar I had laying around.

1stBox_3.JPG
1stBox_2.JPG

Hey... We all have to start somewhere!! Right?:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
Nice one! DT's as well! you've got too much time on your hands:lol:

Nice even staining too; not easy on poplar.

sapwood

New User
Roger
The box looks great Wayne! You're not just trying, your succeeding :icon_thum

But come on--you're demonstrating signs of Insomniac Syndrome when you start start building boxes for you jigs :lol:

Sapwood

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well, there are three things going on here. First, I just picked up a new PC4212 DT jig and need to get "the feel of it".:) Second. I have had my eye on trying that DT jig storage cabinet that DaveO whipped up for his Leigh. - Now that really impressed the heck out of me!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc And Third! As DavidF says, "too much time on my hands" - I guess it is a sign that as a retiree, I can't stand doin' nothin on a rainy day! (I haven't shown the box to the LOML just yet....I am behind on some interior painting that needs attention and I may have my checkbook taken away from me!:crybaby2: )

Thanks for the feedback. I felt a little embarrassed for posting it.:oops:

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don't be embarrassed at all that looks awesome. Great tight fitting dovetails off a new jig, even staining on poplar, sharp lining (suedtex flocking?), nice hardware, and a purpose for the box. You shouldn't be anything but proud. I am impressed!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
DaveO said:
Don't be embarrassed at all that looks awesome. Great tight fitting dovetails off a new jig, even staining on poplar, sharp lining (suedtex flocking?), nice hardware, and a purpose for the box. You should be anything but proud. I am impressed!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Anything but "embarressed" do you mean Dave?

What ever you meant I second that producing anything that looks good and does the job it was designed for is a rare acheivment

DaveO

New User
DaveO
HA, this time I spell checked:slap: :slap:
You might consider it also, or is that the British spelling:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: I didn't know you were disabled by Firefox, maybe Steve knows a way around that. Post your issue in the Problems forum, other folks may be having the same problem.

Monty

New User
Monty
sapwood said:
But come on--you're demonstrating signs of Insomniac Syndrome when you start start building boxes for you jigs :lol:

Hey, does this mean I have a disease named after little ol' ME?!?!? :lol: hehehe..... I think we have the first documented case of the dreaded IJSBBS*

*Insomniac Jig Storage Box Building Syndrome

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now that I think of it.:idea: Weren't you the guy that built one for your old Stanley doweling jig?

If so. Then I DID catch it from you!!!!!:eyeslam: (Here I thought I got it from DaveO's Leigh DT jig cabinet!)

Oh Well!

Just call it a minor infection right now.

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Insom. well you did infect me, and I built my Leigh jig box. Let's call the CDC and see if they classify 2 reported cases a budding epidemic:lol: But it needs a shorter name:-D

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, you are ahead of me as I am still building my first box. Dovetails look tight, and the finish looks good.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Very nice box. That staining does look great. Myproject isn't getting a stain. I am thinking of using Danish Oil on it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Canuk,

I am the one who built the hand cut dovetailed box for my Stanley dowel jig. I also built one for my vintage pilot bits.

shoppics024.JPG

shoppics025.JPG

shoppics027.JPG

Sorry Monty, gota take credit for this one. :rolf:

MIke

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Sorry but we have to agree with everyone else....your box looks great to us. We can only wish that our first box turns out that good.

Duke & Irene:eusa_clap

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Against all that I have read about water-based stains, I thought that I would give it a try. It's just Minwax rosewood water-based stain. I used the water-based preconditioner before two coats of stain and then laid on two coats of Polycrylic. One thing that I did learn though, was that you really have to move fast as its dries so doggone fast!!:-o Ok for a small item like this, but I certainly wouldn't try it on anything too large.

Thanks to all for your feedback and encouragement.

I guess it is ok to proceed with buying more tools. Eh?:lol:

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I am so sorry Mike.

So....Perhaps I didn't catch that dreaded disease from Insom after all!! (IJSBBS* - *Insomniac Jig Storage Box Building Syndrome)

All I can say is that you guys are all teaching me well!!!!:-D :-D And, I really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS