I'm such a Redneck

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I got this old 2'x2' chest freezer for free. I also have a temperature controller for it. I had been using it to cold crash my home brews & wines and also lager beer. But why not take it to the next level, a keezer. 3 5 gallons ball lock corny kegs fit perfectly in it. So I made a collar out of 2x4's to install gas and faucets. Now I got me a three tap little kezzer. I'll be trying it out for the first time Saturday. I'm having the family over for a two keg and Oktoberfest party.

All I need to do is mount my temperature controller and build a little platform for the green house gas tank and hook up the regulator. But I made good progress this evening.

I think this qualifies as wood working, I did miter up some 2x4's after all.
IMG_20190929_220901148.jpg

And finishing, yep... I spray painted it with rattle can rust o ulem
IMG_20190929_220843877.jpg

Handy man??? Yep, both gas and plumbing trades
IMG_20190930_214753611.jpg

But... It looks so sad without any beer kegs in there :(
IMG_20190930_220901558.jpg

And I also made the Oktoberfest beer to power the whole thing. Dang... I guess I really am a Redneck.

Go ahead, Its OK to admit.. a three tap little ice cold on demand beer machine, has always been yins dream.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes it has, but not a redneck. A real redneck would have installed used pipe and hose.............. yer' just a wanna be ............ :p BTW Very nice job indeed.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
A redneck woodworkers hydration device is an important appliance for a home.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You's a redneck alright Jeff, but a really good one! Very creative way to store and utilize your hooch! What time do the festivities start this weekend; I can come a day or two early...….:p

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's a nice setup Jeff. Did you brew the beer before putting it into your 2 Corny kegs?

"I'm having the family over for a two keg and Oktoberfest party."

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's a nice setup Jeff. Did you brew the beer before putting it into your 2 Corny kegs?

"I'm having the family over for a two keg and Oktoberfest party."

Yes sir I did, I made both a German Oktoberfest Amber ~ 6.5% ABV and a German Oktoberfest Light Amber ~ 7.5% ABV. I made both the same day back in the middle of March. Ferment 2 weeks @ 50 degrees, diacetyl rest 5 days at room temperature, then lager 12 weeks @ 35 degrees. I've only had a taste test at racking time after diacetyl rest and after lagering. Both have been sitting in the kegs at room temperature since then. I think both will be delicious. They are pretty big beers by American standards anyways. American beers generally run in the 4% and 5% ABV category.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jeff, are you making ales, or pilsners? Any particular hops? Ingenious re-use of the freezer.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I read an article a short time ago that said most all the hops used for American beer brewing come from California, and are trucked clear across the country. The NY State Dept Of Agriculture, along with Cornell University Cooperative Extension Service, is advocating and promoting growing hops in NY State as a cash crop, that will benefit the farmer and the breweries. Certain types of hops do their best in certain climes, and at one time was a major cash crop in central NY State. So Crealbilly Jeff, you should start planting and cultivating hops, then you could give up your other lucrative passions for recompense.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, are you making ales, or pilsners? Any particular hops? Ingenious re-use of the freezer.

Roy G

There are two Ale recipes that I developed one is a golden american wheat, that uses american malts, american hops and american yeast. The other is an Irish Red Ale that uses English malts, english nobble hops and English yeast (my avatar).

Ales are ok and quick... but I prefer to brew smooth, great tasting lagers with German malts, hops and havested saflager 34/70 yeast. I've developed several lager recipes, a few Oktoberfests, 2 maibock's blond and amber, regular bock, double bock, a triple bock that I call Monks Bread and a pilsner. There all works in progress (tweak and tune).

Right now I'm limited to extract brewing with up to 5 lbs of mash speciality grains. But within the next several months I plan to be set up for all grain mash.

Truth be known though I like making fruit wine better than brewing beer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
New York State used to have a thriving industry growing hops but it died out because of diseases, but now it's making a comeback with improved varieties having better disease resistance. NC is also growing hops for microbreweries.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Drip tray came in. Its a good heavy duty made in the USA stainless steel one.
IMG_20191008_141828387.jpg

Another project completed :)

We went out to dinner last night. I was going to order a beer then I said to myself -why? When I got great tasting ice cold tap beer at home. So I just had a glass of water instead. When we got home, I poured myself a glass of Oktoberfest Lager. It's much better tasting, a heck of a lot cheaper, plus no worry about driving under the influence. Win-Win

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
That ain't redneck, just being thirsty with some great brew. Well done set up. Made quite a few of my own also. My favs been some stout's in the 8.0+ range. The family are going to be lucky to be coming over. Im available for adoption. :cool:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I decided the keezer needed a stainless back splash for the drip tray. I only needed a 12" x 14" piece of something thin. But drove out of the local scrap yard with a piece of 4' x 16" 1/8" thick formed stainless countertop. After a lot of sawing & sanding - I managed to get a good piece out of the countertop. I think it came out pretty good for a redneck.
IMG_20191014_205446758.jpg

I sent the pic to my second oldest son, who also brews and he sent this picture back to me. And I thought I was a redneck... Its funny because he's such a neat freak, but I guess not when it comes to beer.
5420.jpeg

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
In home made beer systems that's fairly neat for the options he had going on. In the end it's really more function over style. One you have access to share your brews the way it works for you, you can purdi it up. Your next conquest should be tap handles that show car your brews.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS