I'm going to have to up my skills

ste6168

New User
Mike
Nice cabinet for sure. I guess the $4500 price is from the store, with their markup, probably 40% ish, so price from him directly would be in the $2700 range, if I had to guess... I hadn't ever saw his youtube channel before, nice video, super nice collection of equipment he has! Never thought of assembling a cabinet with plywood splines like that, seems like a pretty good way to do it.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Interesting mix of shaker, mission and traditional (attributed to the use of Mahogany).

Good quality genuine Mahogany is stupid expensive, like $10+ bd/ft for 4/4, much more for thicker stock. Not so sure I would be comfortable advertising the piece as solid Mahogany either..

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Nice cabinet for sure. I guess the $4500 price is from the store, with their markup, probably 40% ish, so price from him directly would be in the $2700 range, if I had to guess... I hadn't ever saw his youtube channel before, nice video, super nice collection of equipment he has! Never thought of assembling a cabinet with plywood splines like that, seems like a pretty good way to do it.

I'm sure he's not making $2700 every time he makes something, but even if he makes just one piece a week he has to be doing OK. I also thought a high-end furniture store would know better than to call that "solid" Mahogany considering some of the largest pieces were veneered.

I definitely learned a few things in that video. When I retire in June I'll try to put some of them to good use. It definitely inspired me to look at monetizing my hobby, even if it's only to make it self-supporting.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I'm sure he's not making $2700 every time he makes something, but even if he makes just one piece a week he has to be doing OK. I also thought a high-end furniture store would know better than to call that "solid" Mahogany considering some of the largest pieces were veneered.

I definitely learned a few things in that video. When I retire in June I'll try to put some of them to good use. It definitely inspired me to look at monetizing my hobby, even if it's only to make it self-supporting.

Yeah, I would have to agree on the solid wood aspect, a lot of plywood in the build, but the shop-sawn veneer is nice. I have no idea about him, never heard of him prior to this post. Based on his shop and equipment, id venture to take a guess he is doing OK financially. I do this for fun, but I couldn't afford that shop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS