If you just gave up?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
and quit doing any woodworking... would you sell all your tools or keep a few for home maintenance work?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Mike - Keep 'em.
I gave up a while ago but now I'm back and glad the tools are still in the garage.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, I would sell the larger stationary tools like the radial arm saw and planer. Probably keep the bandsaw, drill press and table saw. Definitely keep the lathe because that's fun. More than likely thin the herd of chisels-who needs 37 chisels?

Roy G

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
A 12" planer is the only large woodworking tool that I have. That being said, I'd get rid of most of my hand tools, and the planer. I'd keep the chisels, rasps, a block plane, and a No. 4 or 5. Those tools, plus a power drill and a circular saw, would leave me with plenty for home maintenance.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have an unhealthy attachment to my possessions...damn-near hoarder syndrome level. When I go there will be a helluva auction.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I'd go all the way ... power tools, planer, mortising, et al - INCLUDING the shop.

As Sean Connery said in 'Red October' ... "there will be no going back!"

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Hard to know if I've permanently quit. I've stopped for over a year and walked by my tools every single day then got the itch and started up again. So I would keep everything.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That would be a big decision; in my case it would be a big change in what I do with my time in retirement. Initially, I would probably not do anything drastic, but would wait and see if my situation/attitude changed in the months ahead.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Martin and I have the same unhealthy attachment to our possessions. It'll be a snow fight day in Hell when I let my tools go. Then there's the other issue. I hope to God my wife dose'n sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them. Dorm is way out there. In "Red October" if they went back they would've been shot. That's a real reason not to go back. Giving up for the time being is not being shot. Keep your tools (all of 'em) Things change you never know when you might want to do a little woodworking.

Pop :)

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a hard decision, Mike. As little as I have, I'm going to keep them. Having said that I don't have that many to begin with. The real decision would be based on whether or not I am physically capable of using them safely - if the answer to that question is no; then the unsafe ones would be the first to go.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a hard decision, Mike. As little as I have, I'm going to keep them. Having said that I don't have that many to begin with. The real decision would be based on whether or not I am physically capable of using them safely - if the answer to that question is no; then the unsafe ones would be the first to go.
Most reasonable reply to the question without relying on emotion.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We all hit a wall in our lives from time to time. They can be physical limitations or emotional blocks. Often they are temporary. Hind sight is always 20/20 but unless the doctor told me quit or else I would delay taking any action for at least 3 months.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike,
I hope you are not planning an exit strategy. Still, as long your fingers work, I would hope you would continue with thought provoking questions, philosophical observations, and critical comments that keep all of us on our best game.

Happy Holidays and Good Health to all.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
from what i've seen through the years folks have emotional attachments to equipment and rarely let it go.

i do agree with Raymond if you can't safely use it, then I'd suggest making the decision to let it go

sell it and stash the money for a rainy day or go enjoy a nice trip.

i'd focus on what you can do that you can enjoy with the money recouped from selling the equipment.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Not sure what "events" are sneaking up on you, Mike. I too would adopt a wait and see attitude until absolutely sure I was "done".

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS