Ideas to secure basement windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Hello all.

It was pointed out to me in another post that the basement windows on the back of my house are a security risk. Due to this and the recent post about the home break in, I am looking for ideas on the best way to make these windows more secure. I included a pic to show what I'm dealing with.

Thanks!
Bill M.

100_3142.jpg

M

McRabbet

Find a local welding shop (or a friendly welder) and make up an insert with vertical bars -- then use concrete anchors to secure it in place.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
You can buy burglar bars online. Just do a Google search.

And do you have motion sensor floodlights covering that area(s) of the house ?

-Mark

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks for the help guys. I hope I can find some already made, but if not, I guess I will have to see if I can find somebody to fab some up.

Thanks again.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bill,

If you go with the burglar bars think about emergencies in the basement such as fire or intruders in the house that you may have to escape. If that window is the only point of egress then you don't want to be trapped.

Some burglar bars are made to be fitted on the inside of the window and have a keylock system to let you remove the bars for emergency escape. In some areas they are required by law.

Just something else to think about.

Rob

New User
Rob
I have an alarm system on my house, motion detector right where someone would enter my basement windows.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Egress is an important consideration. For a DIY solution, I'd make a frame (like a cabinet door), but instead of a panel put in rebar spaced every 4". Mount the "door" using hinges, so that it can swing inward. Add an eye bolt and secure to the wall with a padlock. The key would have to be close, but far enough you couldn't reach it if you smashed the window.

Granted, a wooden frame can be demolished by a persistent burglar with a sawzall. But, the persistent burglar is almost impossible to keep out, it's the opportunist you need to worry about. A metal frame (steel) would be very secure, but requires some welding.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I abhor burglar bars from my professional viewpoint.
Anything that makes the job of the fire department more difficult or less safe IMHO ought to be outlawed.
I have hours of video on burglar bars and their problems.
However, there is a solution. There are burglar bars that are made to be opened from the inside. Yes it costs more and installation costs more but the thought of someone being trapped behind them in a fire situation makes a burglary seem more tolerable to me.
There is a material that can be applied to glass to make it much harder to break out. It is basically a plastic ply that adheres to the glass. It is much less costly than replacing glass with lexan or acrylic.
I've broken out lexan windows - more accurately - I've busted acrylic windows out of their walls before.
One of the interesting things about my job are the challenges that we find ways to overcome that were created in the name of safety and or security.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
What ever you I suggest you also fog the window with film available at Home Depot so that no one can scope out what is inside.

Jeff

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use an attack Yorkie and a couple of Claymores about knee high.:wink_smil.
Really...I just keep shades on the windows, small valuables put away (not in the bedside table or underware drawer) and lights, radios and tvs on a timer. The window laminate is interesting. Any idea how much this costs?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
What ever you I suggest you also fog the window with film available at Home Depot so that no one can scope out what is inside.

Jeff

I have to agree with Jeff, theft is usually a crime of opportunity, if you smoke the windows or use a oneway film, it will help immensely.
Jimmy:mrgreen:

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks to everyone that took the time to post and give their suggestions and insights.

The 2 windows in question aren't in living space. One is in the garage and the other is in a storage room next to the garage. I can't imagine ever having to use either to exit the house in an emergency. Not saying it couldn't happen, but they would be very low on the list of escape routes. Now, as far as firemen having to use them, that could possibly happen. But there are 2 windows on the front of the house that also access the garage, so that at least offers another option on getting in the garage area for emergency personnel.

I like the idea of putting the bars on the inside of the windows. This doesn't detract from the looks of the outside of the house and also would allow the type of bars can be opened from the inside if needed.

As for the film that makes the glass harder to break. That would be great except these are cheap sliding "basement" windows, and I don't think it would take much to knock them out of their tracks.

Oh, I do have a watch dog. A Jack Russell terrier that keeps watch over the back yard. I'm not sure how he would do with a burglar, but he keeps the critters away. :gar-Bi

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS