Idea for tablesaw blade guard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, asking all you out of tinkeres out there.

My "idea" is some sort of solid wood "block" that would mount over the saw blade.

Something you raise the blade into.

Splitter of some sort attached to the wood.

Some sort of finger board type thing to prevent kickback. Aka, nails in slightly oversized angled holes or sand paper or....

Sure you cannot see thru wood (unless you are Superman). I don't quite buy into needing to see the blade cutting the wood.

I'm very unhappy with my current basket guard, and don't feel like spending lots of money for a comercial solution.

I happen to have a shopsmith, so the table tilts instead of the blade. This does mean a fixed position splitter is ok for bevel cuts.

Any thoughts before I spend lots of time trying to make one?

Jim

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Sorry that I don't have any suggestions, Jim, but I'm really interested to see what you (and others) come up with and to see the direction that this thread goes.

R

rickc

I guess I would be concerned about two things -

1) Idea of raising the blade into a block of wood. I envision you would end up with some type of zero clearance set up. If the guard moved, seems like it could "catch" on the wood and maybe bind a bit. Also wonder about the effect it would have on the quality of the cut and blade life. ie - not being able to move the sawdust as effectively and increased heat. If the opening were oversized though, it might work.

2) The idea of nails around something spinning like the saw blade, or with a chance of kickback just sounds like something you might want to think about carefully.

HOWEVER - I am neither a professional nor expert in the "engineering" world. But those thoughts are what immediately crossed my mind. I know there are others on this site that will have more experience and they will probably add their two cents worth in the near future!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, great points!

Maybe make a dadoed kerf of some sort. and a hole in the top for dust collection.

Maybe aluminum "nails"?

Jim

DavidF

New User
David
froglips said:
Ah, great points!

Maybe make a dadoed kerf of some sort. and a hole in the top for dust collection.

Maybe aluminum "nails"?

Jim

I think you could do away with the "nails" part of it. The anti kickback should be just in front of the blade anyway, so should be separate item. To get over the "Superman only" problem; how about some stratigically drilled holes, say 1/1/2" Dia on the sides at the front so that you can at least see what is going on and help with dust removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS