Idea for income!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRyder

New User
Stacey
Hello everyone, I am the Director of Reins From Above, DaveO and his wonderful wife AudreyO have been helping our organization out in a number of ways and I wanted to throw an idea out for you. I was reading about your donation drive and how you all need to raise some money. I was wondering if you have ever considered doing a "woodworking fair" where you all could set up your own booth and sell your products. We have alot of space and I would love to have everyone come out to the farm. We could incorporate a pig pickin and do it as a fundraiser for both organizations. I have enough contacts with the local papers and media that if you wanted to do something together, Im sure we could get some free advertising. Just thought I would run it by you and I am open to any suggestions/ideas. Let me know what you think! :wsmile:
In regards to getting your non-profit status with the IRS, I did ours and it is kinda frustrating and ridiculous, but you know how the IRS works :BangHead:. If I can answer any of your questions regarding this process, I would love to help!

Stacey

PChristy

New User
Phillip
This sounds good to me - sounds like it could generate some income for all of us - what does everyone else think about this

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
Of course I think this is a great idea. I have tons of bowls in my house I would love to get rid of :) ( I am kidding Dave).

I cannot stress what a great program Reins from Above is and think that this is a neat opportunity to team up with local NC organizations.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What!! you want to sell my dust collectors ????? It could go to to a great cause (RFA & NCWW) but where are we going to put all the dust :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
Hey if it's just collecting dust, let's sell it and benefit some good organizations.

Dave;-)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a wonderful idea. How are your horses with herding cats? :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This sounds like a great idea, two organizations working together to raise money for a good cause. I'm sure it would get good press and raise awareness for both groups.

Now if I only had something to sell. :rotflm:

How long until this happens? Surely it will take a few months to organize, advertise, socialize, and finalize, maybe I would have time to make some things to sell. :dontknow:

If everybody here made one item to sell there would be plenty.

So let's make three. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Now if I only had something to sell.

I know the feeling....I do have oak cut for two more wall-mounted quilt racks.:eusa_thin

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see that I will spend more than my donations will sell for. :wink_smil

LOML and I are looking for some reason to get back down to the Triangle area for a weekend.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm "fer" it! Rocking chair, anyone? Porch swing? Adirondacks?

:gar-Bi

So, when do we do it??

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Y'all, if this is something that starts to come together I would appreciate someone letting me know. I would be willing to send something down to you all if someone would be willing to sell it there. I would love to be able to make the trip myself and to meet everyone but I just can not drive that far. I would like to make a donation to the cause though if this comes together. Please someone let me know if I can help out. Steve :eek:ccasion1

dozer

Mike
My wife and daughter both volunteer at RFA and I would be more than happy to help out any way i can. It is truly a great thing that helps out some wonderful kids. I also would like to help out NCWW so count me in.

Badabing

New User
Joe
That's a great idea! I sell my stuff all the time but never actually did a crafts show or fair. Always wanted to but never really had enough inventory at one time to justify it. This would be a perfect "excuse" to start stockpiling items for inventory :icon_thum

What timeframe are we looking at? Where is the location? I'm 100% on board but it depends on the final details (when and where).

Thanks for the suggestion and especially volunteering to help out!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't know if you were thinking of charging for space to set up a booth or taking a commission to sell?

May I suggest taking a commission?

Maybe split the sales 33% for RFA, 33% for NCWW and 33% for the artist.

That way folks who can't come in person could still sell off someone else's table without having to calculate a percentage of the booth cost, People who do have the time and means can recoup part of their travel expenses and everyone gets a fair share.

I don't know how this would affect any non-profit status or how the state sales tax would come into play.

I know there are lots of other details to work out, but it should be worth the effort and If we can get it right it should be a great annual event.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
I don't know if you were thinking of charging for space to set up a booth or taking a commission to sell?

May I suggest taking a commission?

Maybe split the sales 33% for RFA, 33% for NCWW and 33% for the artist.

That way folks who can't come in person could still sell off someone else's table without having to calculate a percentage of the booth cost, People who do have the time and means can recoup part of their travel expenses and everyone gets a fair share.

Dave and I were talking about this and think that 33% is a good idea. I do believe that Stacey has enough volunteers that can take care of selling things for people that want to sell things but cannot make it. I also agree that it will take time for all of us to build up inventory.
Thanks for all of your support!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I am all for this. I would love to help out 3 Great causes. RFA, NCWW and my wallet. :) Keep us up to date as to how this is coming. Like everyone else says we would need some time to build up inventory.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I hope this doesn't sound dume but when this comes about and we find out when and where this will happen - do you think that it would be a good idea if the ones that scroll - turn - flat boarders - carvers - etc. get together and see what each one will be making so that there would be no competion with each other - Say if I scroll one picture and price it and another scroller scrolls the same and prices it different then one or the other lost a sale - that loss would also affect the RFA and this site as well -Or would it be good to have double of somethings and get with each other and come up with a price? If some of the others here have done something like this Please correct me if I am thinking wrong - I have always done one on one sales

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Phillip I think that is a good idea. I think pricing consistency for something like this would be a good idea. Once we have some more details on it I had planned on doing some pens and scrolling for it and that was a thought I had that I didn't want to under price/overprice a friend from the site. The point is to benefit the RFA and NCWW and if we make a little great. What about if we all did 1 Door prize as well that we donate? I am really digging getting this together and helping out the two organizations.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I am really digging getting this together and helping out the two organizations.

Yes, me too. Everytime I come to the site I check out what the latest post is on this - looking forward to it - I think a door prize would be a great idea - and/or maybe a silent auction on something that a maker has only made one of for this occasion - to raise some more capitol for the two organizations

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hope this doesn't sound dume but when this comes about and we find out when and where this will happen - do you think that it would be a good idea if the ones that scroll - turn - flat boarders - carvers - etc. get together and see what each one will be making so that there would be no competion with each other - Say if I scroll one picture and price it and another scroller scrolls the same and prices it different then one or the other lost a sale - that loss would also affect the RFA and this site as well -Or would it be good to have double of somethings and get with each other and come up with a price? If some of the others here have done something like this Please correct me if I am thinking wrong - I have always done one on one sales

Kinda like to girls showing up at the high school dance with the same dress:argue:.

I don't think we need to do that. Even if I made the same pattern you did or turned the same bowl our styles, choose of wood, etc would make them unique. I also don't think as a group we should "fix prices". It should be left to the individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS