I'd like to have a handle made.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I need a handle for my miter saw. I ordered a replacement, but it's much crappier than the one that came on it.

Then I thought: wouldn't it be nice to not touch a piece of plastic? So I'd like to have one made. It would need to be center bored so I can epoxy a piece of threaded rod into it. I have a shape in mind but don't know the name of it. Looking for a picture now.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I make a lot of handles but I can’t imagine what you’re thinking of.

Do you have the original handle? Or the pieces? Could I use that to model the new handle?

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Here's the handle.
IMG_20201024_215720.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No problem, I would charge $15 if you send the wood or $20 if I supply it. I would use a carriage bolt so the end would look more finished and epoxy the wood to the bolt.

can make it plain like that or more old fashioned like this photo.
EE7583B1-BC4C-401C-88C0-E5F808E26E6D.jpeg

or more square like this one...

FC53CF89-349D-4806-829A-0FA01FFC9309.jpeg

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I'll take that deal. I need to find the appropriately threaded bolt. In the morning I'll measure the handle and the bolt hole. I like the profile you have on that reamer. I have some scrap mahogany, but that might be too soft.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
So the hole for the bolt is 10 mm. The handle is 6" long and about 1-1/4" at its thickest point. I probably wouldn't want to go any thicker.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are course threads and fine threads available. M10x1.5 and M10x1.25.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Mike will do a good job for you. Where does the handle screw into your miter saw (what brand of miter saw?). I'd like to find a picture of it.

A picture of what? I can take one of the saw.

It's a hitachi. Old school, so this handle twists for the miter lock and is also the swing for the angle. If that makes sense.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If the bolt is metric I may have to reuse it. Or I can order one. They don’t sell them in carriage style locally.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A picture of what? I can take one of the saw.

It's a hitachi. Old school, so this handle twists for the miter lock and is also the swing for the angle. If that makes sense.

I found pictures of Hitachi miter saws that show the handle. Thanks. I understand now.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the bolt is metric I may have to reuse it. Or I can order one. They don’t sell them in carriage style locally.
Check Foothills Hardware, I'm impressed with the variety of screws they keep, both metric and imperial

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
King, at the Food Lion shopping center, Highway 66 stoplight.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I can get anything at our local hardware store, if you just want to center bore the handle. I probably want to go pretty deep, since it's wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS