I think I'm falling in Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Last night I had a chance to mess around with one of my hand planes I bought at an Antique show a few weeks back. I have done nothing to it yet I just wanted to play with it and see if I could figure the thing out. What a ton of fun. I can't wait to get both of them tuned up and use them on some other projects.

Here are a couple of pics of one of my new [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] tools.
IMG_3752_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Be very careful, thats a mighty slippery slope you're standing on the edge of. I can tell you from experience it's a long way to the bottom:help:

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Oh I think I am falling off. I am already looking forward to the next antique show to see if I can find anything else out there... It was just to much fun seeing the shavings coming off the wood and having it smooth it's self. I had a joint in this wood that needed to be planned and instead of sending it through the power planer I used this to much more satisfaction and I didn't wake the 3yo up either. :)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Be very careful, thats a mighty slippery slope you're standing on the edge of. I can tell you from experience it's a long way to the bottom:help:
Ditto, ditto, ditto, except I don't think there is a bottom. At least I haven't found it yet. I started buying old hand tools about 15 years ago, and I'm still addicted. You know you're an addict when you start sneaking them home and hiding them from your wife. :gar-Bi

Bill Clemmons

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Yeah, a REAL slippery slope, but it sure is a nice ride to the bottom! (haven't reached it yet )

Save all those curly shavings. I am sure you can find someone with pets or livestock who will be very happy to take them off your hands. (Just don't mix in any black walnut or cherry).

Go

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Yeah, a REAL slippery slope, but it sure is a nice ride to the bottom! (haven't reached it yet )

Save all those curly shavings. I am sure you can find someone with pets or livestock who will be very happy to take them off your hands. (Just don't mix in any black walnut or cherry).

Go

That's a good idea. I hope to be making a ton of them. Oh I am sure I am going to end up with a handful more of them. I already know I want a rabbet plane.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of planing!

You are in good company here. We'll do anything we can to persuade you to buy more tools.

If you are on the fence, we can help push you over.

Rabbet planes are awful fun......

Jim

tjgreen

New User
Tim
DANGER DANGER DANGER! I bought my first couple old planes about 3-4 weeks ago. I've bought 3 more since then, along with a yankee screwdriver, a vintage Stanley surform, and a Hock replacement blade or two. The floor of my garage/shop is covered with poplar shavings. If I spend another hour in the garage fettling, my wife's gonna do an intervention. Oh, and thanks to Froglips, I'm also lusting after antique dovetail saws.

The good news is, old rusty tools are comparatively cheap, so the wife's unlikely to notice if I'm smart about it. Until they start to overflow into the driveway, of course.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Welcome to the slope! :gar-Bi

The sound of a sharp blade making wispy shavings is the siren call. Try as we may we can't stop the addiction. :no:

Then there's hand saws. Nothing like the satisfaction of one-of-a-kind dovetails. Mix the wood type, thickness, straight edge or curved, through, half-blind - who needs a DT jig? :cool:

Have you used any spokeshaves? Oh, man, they just turn you loose on endless curves and edge treatments.

BTW you really NEED some chisels. Believe me you do.

Then something to keep everything sharp. Oh, yes, your definition of sharp will evolve as you slide down the slope.

Chuck

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Ditto, ditto, ditto, except I don't think there is a bottom. At least I haven't found it yet. I started buying old hand tools about 15 years ago, and I'm still addicted. You know you're an addict when you start sneaking them home and hiding them from your wife. :gar-Bi

Bill Clemmons

As Bill said, There is no bottom. I went through the hiding them from my wife thing and now she is helping me find them and even encouraging me to look harder.:gar-Bi Life is Good!

James

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I have a few chisels. Nothing great but they work. Oh I have already started down the Dovetail path. I bought a cheap saw a couple of weeks ago and already want a good one. I have done a couple dovetails. I have a LONG way to go. Speaking of spokeshaves. What is a good one. I am going to start building my first guitar in the next few weeks and I am going to need one to carve the neck. Well I don't need one but it sure would be nice to have one. :)

I am now on the hunt at all the antiques stores and shows for old tools. I got a Starrett Combo Square for $4 from 1912 at least. It's etched on the slide rule by the original owner I imagine. :) There is something about using a tool that someone else has used, you have to wonder what they built with it and how they used it.

I'm hooked. I love my power tools but I see that need for more hand tools. I really need to do the research on the one plane there are very few markings on it. It just says made In USA on the front. The other one is a Sargent I believe. Not sure if they are any good but I got the pair for $20 so I didn't do to bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS