I think a Bigger Shop Is Called For

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User

I collected most of the workbenches I've done for plans over the years. Some of you might recognize some of those.

Every time I'd get a workbench plan done I'd think that's the one for me. Then another one would come along and I'd think I should build this one instead. I'm thinking that now might be a good time to start combining features to make an ultimate bench.

badger fan

Bruce
User
Dave,
I am building the Shaker Bench now and I am using the plans you made. They are awesome. I am the kind of builder that needs the guidance that a good set of plans gives. The experience has improved my skills and the who process has just been fun. I am putting the drawer together now. Hope to be done shortly now that I have more time to wood work.
Thank you for all the help you have been to wood workers like me.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hi Bruce,

That's great to know. I'm glad the plans have been useful and it's great to hear that you are improving your skills. I'd love to see photos of your bench. Are you doing a build along series?

And you are very welcome. I'm glad if I can help.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ultimate bench is a tall order. of course what is ultimate for you may not be the same for another. Plans can be altered and adjusted, one of the reasons I like making. The main thing is it has to be adaptable to the work you are doing. The most important factor is bench height, adjustable or not, again depending on the type of work you are doing. Work holding is next and tons of options according to you wants, tastes, and needs. Depth, again what type or scale of work do you do and what’s your physical size. Tool tray or not again according to the individuals tastes or needs. I look forward to seeing your choices, I think it’ll be fun.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Dave,

I am intrigued by your collection of SketchUp drawings. I can identify several (e.g., the one at the far left front appears to be Chris Gochnour's Bench from the 2018 Tools and Shops issue, but I am curious about the plan in the center back row which appears similar, but lacks the breadboard ends and features a Veritas Twin Screw for the front vise. Can you comment on the source (I could not find it on FWW,com).

I have been looking at various workbench plans and have the Twin Screw vise and Lee Valley Tail Vise waiting in the wings as I stumble with various designs (and my inevitable procrastination!). One other design I like is Robert Lang's 21st Century Workbench featured in the October 2008 issue of Popular Woodworking. I like his split top design with reversible tool trays, but as is, it lacks a true tail vise. Although a minor part of the final design, I prefer the versatility of round dogs versus the more traditional wooden dogs since the round holes also support holdfasts and the Lee Valley family of numerous bench accessories.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Rob,

You are correct regarding the one front left. Good eye. The one in the back row center is John Tetreault's Modified Roubo. Here's a link to the digital plans for it. The plans come with the SketchUp model. The plans for the other benches can be found here.

I agree regarding the dog holes. The flexibility to use holdfasts is a good consideration.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dave, looking forward to your version of the ultimate bench...I foresee that future woodworkers will be building The Richards Bench!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS