I started another bed yesterday[done]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Yesterday I roughly milled out all those big boards I got from Jeff Mills. I cut off the bark and cut out the checks and knots. They are now all rough cut boards that I can handle.:eusa_danc Then after lunch I started on a bed for the youngest grand daughter.:cool: The head and foot boards are all cut, mortised, routed and mostly sanded.:eusa_danc Got the headboard dry fitted and it's looking good. I don't do progress pics because it cuts into my shop time :gar-Bi and it is a PITA to upload pics that I really don't want in my gallery. I sometimes send a link to my gallery for potential customers to look at and I don't think they would want to wade through a bunch of pics that they wouldn't understand anyway.:no: [I liked it much better when we could just post the pics from my PC and only put finished projects in the gallery] I hope to have the head and foot boards complete tomorrow and maybe get the side rails made as well. This will be a two part project. She wants a trundle bed to go with it with some drawers under the trundle.:BangHead: That's gonna be interesting.:eusa_thin I may have to crawl under the house and add some supports!:rotflm: This thang is gonna be heavy.:gar-La; I'll add pics when I get it all assembled and at least a coat of finish on it. This red oak has it all! worm and beetle holes, spalt, tight knots and some nice ray fleks. :icon_thum:icon_thum Thanks Jeff!:eek:ccasion1 I hope to have part one done by the first of the week.:gar-La; [If some paying work doesn't get in the way] bed done, ready for finish. guess I will spray tomorrow. trundle will be another day in the future:cool:.

IMG_3816.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

and one more of a partial rail with some MS wiped on.

here it is in the room. no matress yet but the trundle is being made [started today] in the shop. I'll post part 2 pics when it's done.

IMG_38411.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Re: I started another bed yesterday

Yesterday I roughly milled out all those big boards I got from Jeff Mills. I cut off the bark and cut out the checks and knots. They are now all rough cut boards that I can handle.:eusa_danc Then after lunch I started on a bed for the youngest grand daughter.:cool: The head and foot boards are all cut, mortised, routed and mostly sanded.:eusa_danc Got the headboard dry fitted and it's looking good. I don't do progress pics because it cuts into my shop time :gar-Bi and it is a PITA to upload pics that I really don't want in my gallery. I sometimes send a link to my gallery for potential customers to look at and I don't think they would want to wade through a bunch of pics that they wouldn't understand anyway.:no: [I liked it much better when we could just post the pics from my PC and only put finished projects in the gallery] I hope to have the head and foot boards complete tomorrow and maybe get the side rails made as well. This will be a two part project. She wants a trundle bed to go with it with some drawers under the trundle.:BangHead: That's gonna be interesting.:eusa_thin I may have to crawl under the house and add some supports!:rotflm: This thang is gonna be heavy.:gar-La; I'll add pics when I get it all assembled and at least a coat of finish on it. This red oak has it all! worm and beetle holes, spalt, tight knots and some nice ray fleks. :icon_thum:icon_thum Thanks Jeff!:eek:ccasion1 I hope to have part one done by the first of the week.:gar-La; [If some paying work doesn't get in the way]

Your welcome Fred, I'm glad that wood is out of my shop and in yours :gar-Bi

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky

Fred I can't wait to see some pics of this bed. And let me just say, what you described doing in one day would take me a month.:swoon: Maybe one day I can bang out a project like this.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Fred I can't wait to see some pics of this bed. And let me just say, what you described doing in one day would take me a month.:swoon: Maybe one day I can bang out a project like this.
pics added.:icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Re: I started another bed yesterday[pics added]

OMG Fred even with the worm holes that thing is going to weigh a ton :eek:

zapdafish

New User
Steve

Thats lookin good and its looks like its gonna be one humungous bed.

BTW, How do you know when you know longer have any bugs eating at the wood?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Thats lookin good and its looks like its gonna be one humungous bed.

BTW, How do you know when you know longer have any bugs eating at the wood?

well..... I have this little teenie weenie stethescope thingy and I listen to em. when they stop munchin theys dead!:rotflm:
AKA this wood has been kiln dried. That pretty much eliminates the critters.:wwink:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

What in the heck is taking you so long:rotflm::rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Fred I forgot to tell you that tree came out of my back yard, it was struck pretty hard by lightning in the late summer of 2002, the lightning blew a lot of the bark right off the tree. We dropped it in the early spring of 2003 had it milled, solar kiln dried and stacked up in my shop since then.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

Fred, the rate at which you crank out fine furniture is astonishing...can't wait to see the finished pics in what 1 more hour??:rotflm:

Last edited:

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky

Fred, I really like that wood. Thanks for posting the pics.:thumbs_up

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Wow Fred That looks Great~! You sure are fast, and create Beautiful Work~!

Question for you, I am still helping a friend make a bunk bed out of ASH, we have it all jointed one side, and TS the other for a square straight board, and all four rails cut to width. Much much more to do...

Anyway one of the boards that I fully jointed and planed (foot or head board bottom rail), finished at 5/8".
My question is how much stonger is 3/4" compared to 5/8"?

I know I can just leave this board at its size and no one would notice it, if all the rest of the boards are 3/4". I'm just worried with some of these boards the way they are, that I will only get 5/8" out of them.

Thanks for your help

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Wow Fred That looks Great~! You sure are fast, and create Beautiful Work~!

Question for you, I am still helping a friend make a bunk bed out of ASH, we have it all jointed one side, and TS the other for a square straight board, and all four rails cut to width. Much much more to do...

Anyway one of the boards that I fully jointed and planed (foot or head board bottom rail), finished at 5/8".
My question is how much stonger is 3/4" compared to 5/8"?

I know I can just leave this board at its size and no one would notice it, if all the rest of the boards are 3/4". I'm just worried with some of these boards the way they are, that I will only get 5/8" out of them.

Thanks for your help

strength isnt a real issue but aesthetics is. I try to keep all my materials alike. it saves errors throughout the project.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Beautiful work Fred!
You surely set the bar high then push up!

Have you ever made a sleigh bed?
I've got a stack of pictures and 'sketches' of what i want one day,
I'm not sure how over my head the project is yet, but posts like yours get me thinking.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Beautiful work Fred!
You surely set the bar high then push up!

Have you ever made a sleigh bed?
I've got a stack of pictures and 'sketches' of what i want one day,
I'm not sure how over my head the project is yet, but posts like yours get me thinking.

something like this?

bed41.JPG

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Fred, you never cease to amaze me. I don't know how you knock things out the way you and keep the quality level where you do. You do great work that I could only aspire to.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So... I figured I would log in expecting to see Fred's bed all finished and assembled in a bed room. Yep just as I expected and right there at the top of the list on the home page.

I guess the real question is did you sister the floor joists yet?

Tornado? Quick everyone under the bed :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS