I Really Fouled Up My Bandsaw

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have a Laguna 16HD bandsaw--a big honking 3hp, 220v bandsaw that will power through any resew. I've done 10" wide white oak with no problems. I have changed between 1" blades for resawing to 1/4" blades for scroll work 10+ times with no problems. I was getting easy, straight resaws with no wavers with the 1" blades.

I was resawing cherry, and the cut started bogging down and then wandered off flat causing a badly uneven resaw. All of a sudden the 1" wide blade snapped; I've been told these wide, thick blades never should break. When the blade broke the tensioner slammed down to zero tension. It was almost impossible to get the broken blade off because the flywheel tensioner is now stuck. I can't get the adjustor to turn in either direction. I don't want to remove the blade flywheel until I know exactly what to do to repair the saw. The manual doesn't have any helpful information.

Has someone been through this breakdown, and can you tell me how to fix it? Short of that is there anyone in the Asheville area who does mobile repair on machinery? My shop is shut down until I can get the bandsaw operating again. Thanks.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Glad nothing happened to you. I had this happen with a Jet saw. I ended up removing the wheel. Couldn't save the blade. Not sure if there is something special on the Laguna, but I do know an extra set hands will make this way easier.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Wiley, glad you are unscathed from the blade breaking.

Not sure the type or brand of blade being used, but it is (was) fairly common for carbide tipped resaw blades like the Lenox Trimaster to fatigue on smaller diameter wheels, like 16”.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
One week later I am no closer to repairing my Laguna 16 HD bandsaw. Is there anyone in the Asheville/western NC area who could either do a mobile repair or come to my shop and help me figure this out? The saw weighs 300-350 pounds and is just too big to load and move to a repair shop. Thanks. I'm desperate since all my workflow is frozen until I get this fixed.

Hjanes

Harlan
User
If Union Grove didn't have any suggestions you might try Laguna's customer service or calling Laguna's sharpening service in Columbia, SC to see if they can refer you to someone local that might help. I also have a 16 HD but don't have a clue having never had this problem.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I'm not following what happened. If the tension went to zero then does that mean the two wheels are at their closest position? If they are the farthest apart they can get, is it the tensioner that is stuck? Like a worm drive or acme thread stuck? If that is the case would brute force with a big wrench work? Can you take a photo and point the stuck part? I have a Laguna 18 and can take photos if you need to compare parts.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
If Union Grove didn't have any suggestions you might try Laguna's customer service or calling Laguna's sharpening service in Columbia, SC to see if they can refer you to someone local that might help. I also have a 16 HD but don't have a clue having never had this problem.
+2 on contacting Laguna Tech Support. I have the saw you have but have not had the issue you describe so not much help. I did have to replace the motor in my saw and called Laguna Tech Support. They walked me thru some problems I was having putting things back together.
BTW...before taking anything apart, take several pics from different angles to help you in reassembly.
Good Luck

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
So far Laguna Tech Support is only so-so. They are not even familiar with this issue. After sending 6 photos they (I've got 2 guys "working" on my problem) are still guessing. I finally got a special tool that hopefully enable me to remove the flywheel and access the tensioning mechanism. My best guess right now is the stationary support for the threaded rod is broken. They have not been encouraging about getting parts; my saw is one of the older models made in Italy.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have exhausted every possibility I can think of to find someone in the Asheville area who can fix my Laguna 16 HD. HELLLP!!!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wish I could get away right now. The earliest I could get away would be next Thursday Dec. 17
If you don't have it running by then send me a message and I'll try my best to get there.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
IT'S FIXED!!! A woodworking buddy with more experience around woodworking machinery than me came over and diagnosed it as a jammed flywheel shaft carriage. He just used more brute force than I have and twisted the adjustment wheel until it broke free with a loud bang. We concluded that when the blade broke and released the tension, the carriage slammed up and either wedged itself cockeyed or rammed itself over sawdust until the carriage channels jammed. I thoroughly cleaned the mechanism with compressed air and lubed the channels, carriage guides, and screw. It works great, hopefully for 10+ years.

A special note of thanks to Mike Davis, who offered to drive a long way over here on his Christmas break from work just to help me figure this out. Your generous offer cut my anxiety by 90% just because I knew you would know what to do to fix it. Thanks.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Ah yes. I was hoping brute force would do the trick. If all else fails get a longer wrench! Glad you are back in business.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Ah yes. I was hoping brute force would do the trick. If all else fails get a longer wrench! Glad you are back in business.
Or bigger, stronger, younger arms LOL. I had given it all I got and could not get the adjustment to move either direction more than 1/8" of twist.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS