I need an idea..

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have to make two presentation cases that will hold a brick. A square box won't do. I just can't think of anything that stands out. Open to anything.

Ideas?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have to make two presentation cases that will hold a brick. A square box won't do. I just can't think of anything that stands out. Open to anything.

Ideas?
Clock glass dome on a turned base? The brick would be displayed on end.

1637715455021.png

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, we’re looking for a theme here.

What or who will the brick be for?

maybe you want to pm that. Or mask the answer in some way. I’m just looking for clues to a theme that will lead to a design.

I usually think in pictures but words help bring the pictures sometimes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Like a brick in a wall.

thoughts begat designs just as designs should bring words to mind.

not just random box for a random brick. The brick has meaning as the container should have meaning.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
They were bricks from the cornerstone of the original courthouse here. One of the resident superior court judges is a good friend of mine and asked me to make something to display them. I suggested a box style presentation and he said no..... And offered no other ideas.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Does he have access to any wood from the courthouse? Brick inset in a piece of wood, could be a base for a Gavel, also potentially made from remnants from the. Courthouse.

Or brick could be a base for scales.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the idea of insetting a brick into the wood, if it were a piece of timber from the structure even better. Add a small plaque expressing the origins and dates.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I think I'm with Linc on this one keeping it simple, most of the time when I have seen bricks used as awards they had a plate on them denoting why they were special and nothing else, mounting it to a single board makes it even better

Grimmy2016

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the brick as the Foundation of the Justic System. Is this the type of brick with 3 holes in the middle? Maybe run some dowels through those, mount a board on the ends above the brick and build a small courthouse box to hold (cigars, pens, etc) I also like the idea of the scales.

Linc H

Linc
User
Make a desk top stand that the brick can sit on. with inscription denoting key event.View attachment 206209
And you may want to even consider routing out a space 1/2" or so for Brick to sit down in the base and could epoxy so it so it is more permanent if need be. Certainly lots of more creative ways to improve the base, however you get the idea. Simple and functional.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What about a small section of "wall" made out of wood bricks, with a contrasting color for the mortar. Leave a space in the wall where the real brick goes, protruding about an inch or so.
brickwall.jpg

charlessenf

Charles
Senior User
... something to display them ...
Them?? Several bricks in a display? Or Several displays with one brick each?
Here you go..... It was renovated in the 90's but this is how it originally looked.

View attachment 206234
That roof detail might do for a horizontal presentation case with glass on front and sides - plaque above the brick or on the base. We really need to know where your pal thinks they will be displayed - on a flat surface? On a wall? In a display case? I suspect they might have a place in mind if they are looking to memorialize the old building.

One way to focus the mind is to ask "What is the budget?"

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS